Deco Powerline across separate circuits

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-07 05:32:52
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V8
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

I have a house which was remodeled/extended - its all concrete block construction so wifi does not go through the concrete - my option is to use powerline.

The house has an old circuit panel (for original house - covers green box outline ) and a new circuit panel (for expansion - blue box outline) - diagonally opposite side of the house.

From image below, I have the cable modem in the center of the house where the internet comes in.

I can put a P9 (PA1) there and another P9 (PA3) in one of the bedrooms to extend the network there.

Is it possible to put another P9 (PB1) on an outlet that is in the different circuit (blue) connected via Ethernet (or Wifie) in order to extend the network to another P9 (PB2) in the office?

I'm essentially trying to bridge the two circuits (via ethernet or wifi) so that i can extend wifi to the office.

Thoughts? Is this possible?

Thanks.

Options
10 Reply
Re:Deco Powerline across separate circuits
2020-10-07 11:10:27

You are putting an ethernet cable through the wall between the old and new sections?

Then yes. This has nothing to do with the power circuits.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/98898?page=1

Options
2020-10-07 16:44:44

@Rioplata if the power circuits share an earth, then it should be ok. Our house has 3 circuits but share a common earth. 

Options
2020-10-07 19:05:20
@richpriest Thanks for the reply. That might explain what I am seeing in my test setup. The target layout is for my parents home. I am testing the setup in my house. I have 1 circuit box with two columns which might explain why all the routers are actually connecting via PLC - they must be sharing the same ground. As for the setup in my parents, I dont think so - but good question to ask. Nonetheless, does the setup I drew up make sense in order to extend the network. Would it work? Thanks again.
Options
2020-10-07 19:09:29
@mcfly Thanks for the reply. I looked at the link and it seems the Deco M5 line allows for daisy chaining which would help extend the network across to a different powerline circuit. Is it safe top assume the same for the P9 line?
Options
2020-10-07 19:12:37

@Rioplata if the purple dotted lines are the powerline adaptors, then yes it looks ok from your drawing. 

Options
2020-10-07 19:57:40
@richpriest yes the purple dotted lines are connecting the two Deco P9 units (PA1 and PA3) via PLC - the short beige/tan solid line would be the ethernet cable bridging (daisy chaining) to connect the two P9 units (PA3 and PB1) in different circuit boxes (circuit A and circuit B). And then one of the P9 units (PB1) would connect via powerline to another P9 unit (PB2) in the office. I might move PB1 to the next room and put the ethernet cable through the brick wall that way we can get wifi in that room as well. My home is all drywall inside so no issues with signal, but the construction at my parents its all brick - inside and outside - about 6in thick walls of concrete block.
Options
2020-10-08 01:53:45

@Rioplata 

Yes this setup will work fine, you can plug anything you want into either of the Deco Ethernet ports.

Options
2020-10-08 14:14:15 - last edited 2020-10-08 14:28:17

@mcfly @richpriest Thank you so much for your support. One last question. I know this might be on another thread and have been searching but cant find anything. I've noticed that throughput through the Deco is not at the expected speed. Using the same device I connect directly to the cable modem and compared to connecting to the master and to the slave and the decrease is about 50% - is that normal? if there is a thread that you can point me, would greatly appreciate it!

Here is the scoop:

Tests:
1) CMm - Network A - direct connect to Vz Fios Gateway 1100
2) PLm - Network B - direct connect to P9 master which connects to Gateway 1100
3) PLs - Network B - direct connect to P9 range extender connected plc to master
4) CMre - Network A - direct connect to range extender and backhaul via coax (MoCA) back to Vz Gateway 1100

Jitter and Ping where relatively equal across all.  #3 above did have 2x the jitter 1.7ms compared to the others but way below the 30ms acceptable.
See pic for results 

Summary: 
* Powerline was at best about 1/2 of my cable modem gateway and range extender over coax  (2 or 3 vs. 1 or 2)

* Interesting that upload over PLC was actually higher than download. All tests were done at 11pm

Thoughts?

Options
2020-10-09 13:29:47
Never mind it seems that when both radios are enabled the throughput gets reduced. I disable the 2.4 GHZ radio and had the 5GHZ up only and was up to par to my other network.
Options
2020-10-13 01:07:11
Glad you've sorted it out in some way. I have no idea why you are having this issue.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1650

Replies: 10

Related Articles