Wireless interface of TL-WDR4300 is slow

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-02-11 18:45:43
Region : Netherlands

Model : TL-WDR4300

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 121225

ISP : Online

Recently I replaced my Linksys WRT54G for a TP-Link WDR4300. But unfortunately this did not result in an increased speed.

On both the 5GHz and 2.4GHz speed is limited to roughly 2.5-3 MByte/s, which is OK for watching movies etc. but I could reach those speeds with the 802.11g router as well!

I'm using the WDR4300 as access point, so I disabled DHCP server and NAT functionality, left the WAN port empty. And I set fixed IP in the subnet range of my modem/router. (horrible Speedtouch device). All works fine and stable, but too slow.

In the wireless settings I tried the 20 and 40MHz bandwith, disabled WMM, tried to lower the transmission power, tried to set a fixed channel. But all those changes do not have a significant influence on the transfer speed. (both on 2.4 and 5GHz) I'm the only 5GHz access point in my neighborhood, so interference cannot be a problem.
The clients indicate a link speed of 300mbps very close to the router, and this drops to indication of 54mbps further away, but effective link speed remains fairly constant (and stable!) (I find it strange that indicated link speed already drops at 3 meters with clear line of sight to the router)

I did the tests with fixed IPs on two laptops and no devices connected on the LAN ports, to rule out problems caused by the modem/router or other clients.

The tests were done using a Lenovo x220 and Asus Zenbook, both with Intel dual band 802.11n wifi interfaces. The Lenovo reaches 22MByte/s via the Cisco access point at my work (with less signal as at home).

What should I do to get reasonable speeds from this device?
Options
6 Reply
Re:Wireless interface of TL-WDR4300 is slow
2013-02-14 14:10:44
The 5GHz band has a shorter range compared to a 2.4GHz band because in radio frequencies, the higher the frequency the shorter range.In other words, if you are using a
lower frequency like the 2.4 GHz, the distance it will cover will be greater than the 5GHz band.

I think this is maybe the reason why 5G speed drops fast. Move the angle of the antenna to give a try. How about the speed for LAN, is that OK? If it is OK, have no idea yet/.
Options
2013-02-15 02:22:58

mynetwork wrote

The 5GHz band has a shorter range compared to a 2.4GHz band because in radio frequencies, the higher the frequency the shorter range.In other words, if you are using a
lower frequency like the 2.4 GHz, the distance it will cover will be greater than the 5GHz band.

I think this is maybe the reason why 5G speed drops fast. Move the angle of the antenna to give a try. How about the speed for LAN, is that OK? If it is OK, have no idea yet/.

Thanks for your reply, but the actual speed does not drop when I move away from the access point, only the indicated speed. The actual speed is roughly 2,5mbyte/s no matter the distance (within my house). Only the indicated speed is much higher close to the access point (300mpbs), but I can only use 10% of that indicated speed. (I know you never reach 100%, but 50% should be doable close to the access point)

Are there TP-Link support people here, that can help me, or should I just return the router and buy a device from another manufacturer?
Options
2013-02-15 14:22:45
The actual speed is also decided by Internet Service Provider. Is the actual speed close to the speed they offered? Can the actual speed from the router by LAN reach the level from ISP? :confused:
Options
2013-02-15 16:54:18

mynetwork wrote

The actual speed is also decided by Internet Service Provider. Is the actual speed close to the speed they offered? Can the actual speed from the router by LAN reach the level from ISP? :confused:

As I said in the first post, the transferspeed is measured locally:
I did the tests with fixed IPs on two laptops and no devices connected on the LAN ports, to rule out problems caused by the modem/router or other clients.

thus my ISP speed has no influence.
Options
2013-02-15 18:24:30
So sorry.... then go to get it replaced and wish you good luck
Options
2013-02-17 22:20:09

mynetwork wrote

So sorry.... then go to get it replaced and wish you good luck

Hi mynetwork, no need to say sorry. I'm glad you tried to help!

Today I did some more testing: If I select "n-only" on the access point, clients are no longer able to connect (for both 2.4 and 5ghz). Thus the n-mode is probably never used, regardless of indications. (which explains the g-mode speed).

I reflashed the firmware again, and did a factory reset. This fixed the speed issues! I now reach 20 mbyte/s on 5GHz (and 11MByte/s on 2.4), which is OK.

I think the configuration got broken after the first firmware upgrade, so only factory reset probably had fixed the issues as well. It's not mentioned in the manual that you need to do a factory rest after firmware update. But it is stated that you loose configuration after firmware update, which is not true either. (all settings remain)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 969

Replies: 6

Related Articles