TL-WR902AC - Connect device to WAN port of home router (using mobile hotspot for internet)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WR902AC - Connect device to WAN port of home router (using mobile hotspot for internet)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-18 12:49:14
Model: TL-WR902AC  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I want to use this device to act as my incoming internet connection (into the WAN port of my home wifi router).   I would connect the ethernet from the WR902AC to the WAN port.   I have a mobile hotspot that I would connect with wireless to provide internet.  

Is this possible?  if so, do I use the device as a "client" device?  Do I use "WISP" mode?(not sure what that really is).

Thanks!

Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-WR902AC - Connect device to WAN port of home router (using mobile hotspot for internet)
2021-07-06 09:56:50
I know it's been a year but here's how I do it (I have win10 & droid). Connect Ethernet cable PC to router WAN. Hotspot or turn on tethering app. From here on everything is done on PC. Connect to phone. Go into Network settings then change adapter settings. Locate adapter currently using to connect. Right click, click properties. Click share tab, Ethernet You may need to reset router but as long as PC & Ethernet stays connected you should have internet on everything that is connected to router. I'd recommend USB tethering if possible because it's much faster than Bluetooth & wifi connection to "server".
Options
Re:TL-WR902AC - Connect device to WAN port of home router (using mobile hotspot for internet)
2021-07-24 17:22:34

@ChillMan I have been doing this for years now. So far best has been a DD-WRT flashed  linksys router WRT350N  I have done this two ways fIrst from a hotspot to ethernet LAN Linksys  and then  lynksys router as WAN To lan etehrnet and hotsopt.  The second was with a Linksys DD-WRT enabeled Linksys connected directly with ethernet input from a Verizon MYFI Also have used a ASUS RT-N13U with factory software. As these routers are relitavely slow to current data transfer  I am now looking to upgrade to faster routers. There are commercialy available DD-WRT enabled routers and lots of documentation online. I have also used  D-Link Routers but they were very lite duty and in short order did a system slowdown to where a turtle could deliver data faster.  You apparently need the simplest system. Buy a ethernet enabled wireless router. As you can tell I prefer DD-WRT Flashable or flashed.  Most mobile hotspots are slow so you don't need too fast a wireless router. There are also newer wireless routers that will give you wireless home network expansion and lan as output capabilities. Then connect from the LAN to the WAN on your existing router.  You should be able to get a DD-WRT flashed Router for under $25 on Ebay

Options
2021-07-24 18:00:59

@ChillMan sorry for My earlier diatribe in short to your question go to 

https://www.smartdomotik.com/2014/09/13/how-to-use-dd-wrt-router-as-wireless-adapter-client-mode/

this should set you on the rite track

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1338

Replies: 3

Related Articles