RE450 5Ghz sometimes drops to No internet connection - please help

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-20 07:35:34 - last edited 2020-10-20 08:05:44
Model: Range Extender  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20190124 Rel. 56885

Hi,

I have a peculiar problem with my TP-Link range extender RE450 which I cannot figure out its' root cause and I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me.

I have setup my RE450 as instructed - turned on the RE450 near the router for setup, switched off WiFi on all unnecessary devices (Printer, Smartphone...) except main laptop (Lenovo E15) for configuration, and configured different SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz for easy identification. Setup is successful and all 3 lights on the device are blue.

At this stage I perform a test run where I connect the laptop to the RE450 5Ghz network and let it run for some while a live 1080P video feed (YouTube), and then another adaptive bit-rate stream (local TV streaming channel). All is well.

Now I move my RE450 to my desired location, switch WiFi on on my smartphone (Galaxy A51), connect it to the RE450 5GHz network, and via the TP-Link propriety tether app validates that the signal is OK.

I should note that there's only 1 yellow Check mark on the dotted line between the host network image and the main extender image, which corresponds to the 2.4Ghz network (as opposed to the blue 5Ghz). Though I figure that this is OK and just how the s/w is designed since it was also like this during the initial setup configuration per the above.

Also, location tool says: "Just Right Perfect signal - Your extender is in a great location" (PSB photos of both screen).

Now here is my peculiar problem:

Occasionally when I perform the above tests with the videos for some time, including concurrent big file test download, it runs fine (for example early morning when I just performed this test);

but ALWAYS, in the evenings - lets say when I try to watch the evening news (on the adaptive video stream from above), the video starts to hang (due to streaming automatically tries to adapt bit-rate) and then suddenly there's not internet connection anymore, even though RE450 all lights are still blue and the app still indicates all is fine as per the above.

At this stage I have to first disconnect the devices from the RE450 network, wait for awhile and connect again, or alternatively power off and power on the RE450; and then the 5Ghz network is back again, although if I perform the the video test, it happens, again...

This is very annoying and I have no idea what causes it.

I've also tried complete reboots of the entire network - power off extender and router, switch off WiFi on all devices. Then power on router, wait for it to finish, then power extender, wait for it finish, then connect devices.

But then when I try to watch that video stream again it happens, again...

Additional information, that might be relevant:

• Router model is Technicolor DGA2232PTN IL (propriety model bundled through my network provider).
  • Direct distance from router to extender is about 6 meters and there's a reinforced concrete wall between them [the room where the router sits is fortified, yeah I know it's not ideal, but I wasn't aware of that - and besides - that's I why I purchased the RE450 in the first place ;-) ]

Though I should stress that at all times the location app says all is well and all lights are blue (Otherwise I would have returned the extender to the shop).
+ Neighbor has a strong mesh network (though not sure if it's from above my apartment or below it)

Can someone please advise?

• Is this related to heavy network usage interference from neighbor ?
  • Or maybe the adaptive video stream somehow 'confuses' the extender when it tries to change bit-rates at peak viewing hours?
  • Or perhaps I'm just at the limit of the 'great location' app indication and therefor network might 'wobble' and that's just how it is???

(I've had a few instances when the blue light dropped momentarily but then switched on again by it's own, though I should stress again that at all times the location app says all is well ).

I'm really confused here and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Assaf

P.s

If other test scenarios or more information is needed I'd be happy to perform them and supply the relevant info...

Options
2 Reply
Re:RE450 5Ghz sometimes drops to No internet connection - please help
2020-10-26 11:05:58

@asiniv 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

Since it happened at the specific time, and night is also the peak time of internet usage, there would be some interface around.

Have you checked if you done something else on the smartphone and would it be the same like adaptive video streaming?

If possible, you could enabled the high speed mode on the RE450, such as:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2479/

and also adjust the wireless channel on the Technicolor router, such as channel 11 for 2.4ghz and channel 36/48 for 5ghz;

Thanks a lot.

Options
Re:RE450 5Ghz sometimes drops to No internet connection - please help
2020-10-26 12:48:59

@Solla-topee 

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked that it is independent of other devices I own (i.e smart phone) - it can happen solely when the smartphone is connected or when the laptop (only) is connected.

and when it happens if I try to add either device which wasn't connected it experiences the same issue.

I have tested the high speed mode for a short while, but since it means it will disable the other band it poses an issue as I'm left without a backup when the problem occurs. So I opted not to use it permanently.

With regards to the router it currently selects channels automatically and I assume that this way it avoids interferences if there are any.

I may perform a test to see if setting it on fixed channels as you suggested might help.

all in all as as you advised that this is probably  because of interferences (due to time specificity) there's not much I can do to control it.

So I may just test option 3 as per the above and otherwise have to live with it and switch to the 2.4GHz when experiencing this issue.

Thanks anyway!

Assaf

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1341

Replies: 2

Related Articles