Sky q

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Sky q

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Sky q
Sky q
2020-10-23 21:16:32 - last edited 2023-11-03 01:39:41
Model: AC50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest

Hi

any ideas please how to set up

deco m4(3 of them) to sky q fiber broadband

main sky q 2tb

3 x minis

2 x boosters

will/can this work with the sky q mesh system?

any help is greatly appreciated,I'm not tech minded so struggling

thks 🤘

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Sky q-Solution
2020-10-24 18:12:19 - last edited 2023-11-03 01:39:41

I was with Sky previously and had a Deco M5 - albeit I didn't have any of the Sky boosters between my Sky Q mini boxes. 

My Deco M5 was setup in AP mode (you may need to change this if it is currently in router mode). 

I also had issues with the main Sky Q box operating over WiFi / Ethernet when coming directly from the Deco. 

My setup was this:

- Sky Hub via Ethernet to an Ethernet Switch

- Switch connected to the main Deco and main Sky Q box 

- Sky Hub and Deco have separate SSID's, the Sky Q boxes will connect and 'share' the Sky SSID but for everything else you should be able to use the Deco. 

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Sky q
2020-10-24 10:29:17
As Sky can be a pain with changing routers, is there a particular reason you want to change?
Options
2020-10-24 10:55:03

@richpriest Hi,

Thks for your reply,I'm not changing routers I have a fill sky q set up,7 sky nodes including router,main box ,minis and boosters

im just trying to set this deco m4 up so I don't conflict with the sky mesh systsm

I'm not sure if this can be done?

if so would you know how?im not good at all at this type of stuff

idealky I'm looking to just put sky q on its network and everything else on the deco?

thks

Options
2020-10-24 11:00:12

@patseeb 

Why are you adding a mesh system to a mesh system?

Options
2020-10-24 11:05:53

@richpriest Hi

the Internet from sky q can be sketchy and has some low spots so I bought 3 x deco m4 to see if this can be set up

can this be done sir?

thks

Options
2020-10-24 11:10:13
There is a difference between the internet connection and your WiFi. If the internet access is poor, it won't matter what system you link to it. Have you performed speed tests in each part of your house to see whether there are big differences? If you have all those boosters, have you tried moving them to better positions? Adding another WiFi system is likely to cause even more issues than it would solve. Especially without proper troubleshooting of the root cause
Options
2020-10-24 11:15:26

@richpriest Hi

sorry,WiFi is quite good,it's about 90mbps at the router and about 20-30 at the furthest part of the house so not bad,I'm trying to reach the garage with the decos which is about 30 feet away

Options
Re:Sky q-Solution
2020-10-24 18:12:19 - last edited 2023-11-03 01:39:41

I was with Sky previously and had a Deco M5 - albeit I didn't have any of the Sky boosters between my Sky Q mini boxes. 

My Deco M5 was setup in AP mode (you may need to change this if it is currently in router mode). 

I also had issues with the main Sky Q box operating over WiFi / Ethernet when coming directly from the Deco. 

My setup was this:

- Sky Hub via Ethernet to an Ethernet Switch

- Switch connected to the main Deco and main Sky Q box 

- Sky Hub and Deco have separate SSID's, the Sky Q boxes will connect and 'share' the Sky SSID but for everything else you should be able to use the Deco. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-10-24 18:34:04

@dylanb Hi

thanks

so main sky q box connects to deco via ethernet

and not connected same way to main sky router?

thks

Options
2020-10-24 20:02:40

Hi @patseeb 

I had issues with getting my main Sky box and Minis to connect together when connected via Ethernet to the Deco. 

The way around this was to have the Decos connected via AP mode and the Sky Q box connected via Ethernet to the Sky Hub directly. 

Basically I found if you connect the main Sky Q box directly to an Ethernet port on your Sky Q Hub, and do the same with the Deco - they should work together OK. 

The only scenario where you can get the Sky mesh system to work is when you are working with purely Sky gear - the Deco and Sky networks will work independently.

Options
2020-10-24 20:14:59

@dylanb Thank you sir

ill try connect the deco via Ethernet to the router as my hub isn't in the same room as the main sky q box 🙈,thanks for your help

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1123

Replies: 10

Related Articles