DECO M9 in RouterMode as well as ISP in router mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-26 10:40:07 - last edited 2020-10-27 08:58:00
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.3

Hi,

I have just installed Deco M9 3 pack and followed the defaults for setup.

The following is the layout

DSL Broadband coming in to the house and connected to a Huawei HG658c (Vodafone) router modem.

DEco M9 connect to lan port on the Huawei

2 remaining Decos located around the house

Devices connected to one of the following address ranges:

192.168.1.2  - 192.168.1.254 (Huawei Router/Modem)

192.168.68.100 - 192.168.68.250 (DecoRouter Mode)

• Will this cause a problem because there are effectively 2 routers in operation ?
  • Should I disable the DHCP  on the Huawei  (screenshot below) and allow the Deco to manage all IP addresses ?
  • I read some comments on the internet that if I switch off DHCP o the Huawei I would need to enable 'Bridging'....is this required ?
  • Should I just Disable Wifi on the Huawei ? (which means devices can only connect via the Decos ?...)

If the Decos and the Huawei will happily co-exist then I will leave all alone...but I appreciate any advice on the optimum setup.

Thanks

mno101

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:DECO M9 in RouterMode as well as ISP in router mode-Solution
2020-10-26 15:36:46 - last edited 2020-10-27 08:58:00

@mno101 

If you plan to use your Deco in router mode, these are my answers on your questions.

> Will this cause a problem because there are effectively 2 routers in operation 

Depends on the definition of the problem. If question is, will mobile device connected to Deco access Internet (browsing, email, YouTube, etc.) seamlessly - the answer is, it will. Having one router behind another router should not cause such types of problems.

Usually. I had once bad experience with Belkin router behind Hitron router that can't reconnect after Hitron router restart. Reboot your Huawei HG658c, if Main Deco reconnects just fine and devices connected by WiFi to Main Deco have Internet access, that should be it.

The problems might exist and solutions for them may be required, if you have devices on your network wired with ethernet cable to Huawei HG658c, that talk to other devices on your network.

Examples of "problematic" devices: file server, backup server, networking printer.

So, for simplicity assuming you have nothing like that, and all your wired and wireless devices just need Internet access, having two routers behind each other should be fine.

Example of "not problematic" wired device that only needs internet access: you have high end gaming desktop you wired to Huawei HG658c and want to keep it that way because you value connection stability and low latency above all for your gaming experience.

>Should I disable the DHCP on the Huawei

Because Main Deco will need WAN IP address, and it'll ask for it from Huawei HG658c, the easiest is not to disable Huawei HG658c DHCP. There are alternative ways with DHCP off, but why bother? If one day you decide Deco in AP mode is good enough for you, you'll have less networking configurations to undo.

Leaving DHCP is also easier for troubleshooting. If you've lost Internet access, you can connect laptop or desktop by ethernet cable to Huawei, they will seamlessly get IP address from it and you'll be able to continue with troubleshooting. 

>I read some comments on the internet that if I switch off DHCP o the Huawei I would need to enable 'Bridging'....is this required

Don't switch off DHCP on Huawei and you won't need to mess with its networking configuration. 

>Should I just Disable Wifi on the Huawei?

Yes, you should. You bought Deco for mesh solution, use it for that. Less interfering networks in close proximity is better. 

Also, if you have really strong 5GHz signal from Deco everywhere, disable 2.4GHz on Deco. Benefits are two-fold: your neighbours have less ability to create interference on 5GHz network, and your devices won't occasinally fallback to 2.4GHz unnecessarily, thus decreasing their download speed.

If you see reason not to disable WiFi on Huawei, for sure create WiFi network name (SSID) on Deco that is different from one you have on Huawei. That might later help with troubleshooting, if it becomes necessary.

The only reason I can see to keep WiFi enabled on Huawei is if you have device that can't get WiFi signal from Deco but gets good WiFi signal from Huawei. Which is, I suspect, unlikely reason because if it is - perhaps that's not the right mesh system you've bought.

Actually, one more reason: if you manage Huawei wirelessly only, then of course you'll need to keep WiFi on it. Just in case all your Decos go down but you need access to Huawei web management interface.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:DECO M9 in RouterMode as well as ISP in router mode
2020-10-26 12:49:48

@mno101 

Ask yourself what do you need from Deco M9. If you were happy with your existent network configuration and settings, only needed WiFi mesh add-on - I suggest you configure Deco in AP mode.

This is what I've done for my Deco M9 Plus deployment, and very pleased with results. Yes, I won't be getting antivirus and some other features of Deco when running them in AP mode, but I survived without those before. My reason to buy Deco was purely to improve WiFi signal in my house, and it did - dramatically. I need nothing else.

To run Deco in AP mode:

1. Do no changes in how your Deco devices are connected, you have it correctly;

2. Change nothing related to networking configuration in your Huawei HG658c (Vodafone) router/modem;

3. Disable WiFi on  Huawei HG658c (Vodafone) - Deco will provide WiFi service.

Done.

Options
2020-10-26 13:48:29

@Alexandre. 

thasnk for the reply. my original intention was to extend othe wifi coverage, however when I saw the additional features of the M9 Plus I decided to go fo rthat...so I would like to use the Parental control, antivirus, alexa interface and all of the other functions.

so I guess what I am looking for advice on is the optimal setup using the Deco M9 in router mode. 

thks

Options
Re:DECO M9 in RouterMode as well as ISP in router mode-Solution
2020-10-26 15:36:46 - last edited 2020-10-27 08:58:00

@mno101 

If you plan to use your Deco in router mode, these are my answers on your questions.

> Will this cause a problem because there are effectively 2 routers in operation 

Depends on the definition of the problem. If question is, will mobile device connected to Deco access Internet (browsing, email, YouTube, etc.) seamlessly - the answer is, it will. Having one router behind another router should not cause such types of problems.

Usually. I had once bad experience with Belkin router behind Hitron router that can't reconnect after Hitron router restart. Reboot your Huawei HG658c, if Main Deco reconnects just fine and devices connected by WiFi to Main Deco have Internet access, that should be it.

The problems might exist and solutions for them may be required, if you have devices on your network wired with ethernet cable to Huawei HG658c, that talk to other devices on your network.

Examples of "problematic" devices: file server, backup server, networking printer.

So, for simplicity assuming you have nothing like that, and all your wired and wireless devices just need Internet access, having two routers behind each other should be fine.

Example of "not problematic" wired device that only needs internet access: you have high end gaming desktop you wired to Huawei HG658c and want to keep it that way because you value connection stability and low latency above all for your gaming experience.

>Should I disable the DHCP on the Huawei

Because Main Deco will need WAN IP address, and it'll ask for it from Huawei HG658c, the easiest is not to disable Huawei HG658c DHCP. There are alternative ways with DHCP off, but why bother? If one day you decide Deco in AP mode is good enough for you, you'll have less networking configurations to undo.

Leaving DHCP is also easier for troubleshooting. If you've lost Internet access, you can connect laptop or desktop by ethernet cable to Huawei, they will seamlessly get IP address from it and you'll be able to continue with troubleshooting. 

>I read some comments on the internet that if I switch off DHCP o the Huawei I would need to enable 'Bridging'....is this required

Don't switch off DHCP on Huawei and you won't need to mess with its networking configuration. 

>Should I just Disable Wifi on the Huawei?

Yes, you should. You bought Deco for mesh solution, use it for that. Less interfering networks in close proximity is better. 

Also, if you have really strong 5GHz signal from Deco everywhere, disable 2.4GHz on Deco. Benefits are two-fold: your neighbours have less ability to create interference on 5GHz network, and your devices won't occasinally fallback to 2.4GHz unnecessarily, thus decreasing their download speed.

If you see reason not to disable WiFi on Huawei, for sure create WiFi network name (SSID) on Deco that is different from one you have on Huawei. That might later help with troubleshooting, if it becomes necessary.

The only reason I can see to keep WiFi enabled on Huawei is if you have device that can't get WiFi signal from Deco but gets good WiFi signal from Huawei. Which is, I suspect, unlikely reason because if it is - perhaps that's not the right mesh system you've bought.

Actually, one more reason: if you manage Huawei wirelessly only, then of course you'll need to keep WiFi on it. Just in case all your Decos go down but you need access to Huawei web management interface.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-10-27 09:10:37

@Alexandre. 

thank you so much for the detailed reply, I have taken your advice and given that I have no 'problematic' devices the following is now my setup

- Huawei - DHCP remains on (192.168.1.2 - .....) and Wifi has been switched off!!

- Decos - DHCP still setup remains setup (192.168.68.100 - ....)  in router mode with all of the functionality required (Antivirus, Parental Controls ...)

The only IP address on the Huawei now is the one for the main Deco which of course is connected with a netowrk cable.

I can still access the Huawei if needed ...wirelessly via the Decos or directly with a network cable.

Signal when connected directly to Huawei with ethernet cable is 40mb (up to 50mb is the deal with ISP...) . When I use wifi device anywhere around the house I am now getting 39-40 MB. There are zero black spots !!!

All devices are picking up ip addresses from the Deco DHCP range.

Thanks again for the excellent advice. 

mno101

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 911

Replies: 4

Related Articles