Tp-link R470t+ and PPPoE and wifi router configuration

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-27 16:21:30 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:44:57

Not a network expert - but wanted help.

I have 2 internet connections fro different ISPs. Connection types are

1. PPPoE - Wan 1

2. Dynamic IP. - Wan 2

I have purchased a load balancer - TP-Link R470T+. I have a netgear router that i have been using with my first ISP[PPPoE] for some time. Now that i have my 2nd connection, wanted to make sure i make use of it [backup/load balancing without changing my connections]. My requirements are to enable uninterrupted wireless connection to different places at home, due to kids class and my work - even if one of the connections are down.

Help/suggestions needed...

1. Do i need to purchase a network switch for my connections to work? 

2. With Wan 2 [dynamic ip] - i am able to get the connection working, along with R470T+ 

3. With Wan 1 [PPPoE ] - i am not able to connect my router - both ethernet nor wifi]. My LAN connection from the load balancer[R470T+] is working though. 

3.1 - I have configured my netgear router to accept PPPoE and the tp-link load balancer to accept PPPoE. Is this the right approach?

Is there something obvious and stupid i am doing here?

Thankyou so much in advance if you could help me solve the issue.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tp-link R470t+ and PPPoE and wifi router configuration-Solution
2020-10-29 11:40:55 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:44:57

Dear @jose_28,

My requirements are to enable uninterrupted wireless connection to different places at home, due to kids class and my work - even if one of the connections are down.

With the TL-R470T+ Router, we can connect it with different ISPs through multi-WAN ports, and configure the Link Backup function with Failover mode to make the router switch from the dropped line to the backup line automatically. Note that the TL-R470T+ router doesn't broadcast any WiFi signal, it's only for wired connection, thus we cannot use it to keep an uninterrupted wireless connection.

It's up to you. If you need to expand the Ethernet ports for more wired devices, then a network switch could help.

2. With Wan 2 [dynamic ip] - i am able to get the connection working, along with R470T+ 

3. With Wan 1 [PPPoE ] - i am not able to connect my router - both ethernet nor wifi]. My LAN connection from the load balancer[R470T+] is working though. 

3.1 - I have configured my netgear router to accept PPPoE and the tp-link load balancer to accept PPPoE. Is this the right approach?

If you have configured PPPoE connection on the front router, there is no need to configure PPPoE on a second router anymore.

Back to your requirements, if you want to get an uninterrupted wireless connection, it's NOT suggested to connect the TL-R470T+ Router behind the wireless router. If you do that, the wireless connection is completely dropped once the ISP line is down. It will be better if you connect the wireless router behind the TL-R470T+ router through the LAN port, in this case, you need to configure the PPPoE connection on the front TL-R470T+ router, and remove the PPPoE connection from the Netgear router instead. The setup is like:

ISP1----[PPPoE]------------WAN1

TL-R470T+ ----LAN---- netgear router (Dynamic IP) )))((( wireless clients.

ISP2----[Dynamic IP]-------WAN2

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Tp-link R470t+ and PPPoE and wifi router configuration-Solution
2020-10-29 11:40:55 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:44:57

Dear @jose_28,

My requirements are to enable uninterrupted wireless connection to different places at home, due to kids class and my work - even if one of the connections are down.

With the TL-R470T+ Router, we can connect it with different ISPs through multi-WAN ports, and configure the Link Backup function with Failover mode to make the router switch from the dropped line to the backup line automatically. Note that the TL-R470T+ router doesn't broadcast any WiFi signal, it's only for wired connection, thus we cannot use it to keep an uninterrupted wireless connection.

It's up to you. If you need to expand the Ethernet ports for more wired devices, then a network switch could help.

If you have configured PPPoE connection on the front router, there is no need to configure PPPoE on a second router anymore.

Back to your requirements, if you want to get an uninterrupted wireless connection, it's NOT suggested to connect the TL-R470T+ Router behind the wireless router. If you do that, the wireless connection is completely dropped once the ISP line is down. It will be better if you connect the wireless router behind the TL-R470T+ router through the LAN port, in this case, you need to configure the PPPoE connection on the front TL-R470T+ router, and remove the PPPoE connection from the Netgear router instead. The setup is like:

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tp-link R470t+ and PPPoE and wifi router configuration
2020-10-31 05:10:29 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:44:57

@Fae 

"If you have configured PPPoE connection on the front router, there is no need to configure PPPoE on a second router anymore."

This was what I was doing wrong. I made it dynamic at the router end[netgear] and it worked!!!

Thankyou so much...

Fae wrote

Dear @jose_28,

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1323

Replies: 2

Related Articles