Deco M4 Connected to Wi-Fi Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-02 15:47:36
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: TBD

I have ordered the 3 pack of M4's and have a question.  

When I watched a video, by TP-Link, it showed hard-wire connecting the main Deco to the existing Wi-Fi router and setting up a network.  So, if I do that, will I then have 2 wireless networks available?  If so, are there any negatives that would encourage me to connect the main Deco to the modem, instead?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M4 Connected to Wi-Fi Router
2020-11-03 01:41:14
Your life will be easy if you configure your Deco to run in AP mode and also disable WiFi on your router.
Options
2020-11-09 17:37:14

@Alexandre. Possibly but I don't like the idea of running cable over 3 floors.

Options
2020-11-09 20:38:27

@gwinegarden 

You will have to wire Main Deco regardless if you run it as a router or in AP mode.

As for Satellite nodes, you don't have to wire them in AP node if you don't need to. I have three Deco nodes running in AP node: Main is wired, one Satellite is wired and another is not.

In fact, in AP mode you have more flexibility on how you deploy Satellites nodes. For example, my Main and Satellite wired nodes are each connected with Ethernet cable to ISP router/modem. That won't work if I switch Main node to router mode.

Options