Wireless printer connection work around

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-08 00:34:15 - last edited 2020-11-08 00:35:56
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.4.9

From everything that I've been reading online it seems like these routers and mesh systems have a hard time connecting wireless printers. I went through 2 new printers after which I relegated myself to contacting TP Link support to work through the issue. Long story short, in order to get most of these setups to work you have to set up a new temporary 2.4Ghz network, turn off seamless roaming and remove any special characters from your wifi password. I tried to do this with my primary wifi network but I think there is some sort of caching issue which prevents the session from establishing so here's what I did to migrate everything over to my primary network once the setup actually completed:

1) Change your primary network name. Eg: mywifinetwork to mywififnetwork1

2) Create a guest 2.4Ghz network with the original network's name; mywififnetwork

3) Turn off seamless roaming

4) Remove any special characters (!,#,%,@ etc) from your wifi password on both the guest and primary network

5) Reconnect your computer, smartphone, or whatever to the new guest network

6) Setup the wireless printer, test, print etc

7) Delete the guest wifi network

8) Change the primary wifi network name back to the original mywifinetwork, you can also restore seamless roaming . Your printer should still be connected to this network name. 

9) Retest your connection the printer

This worked for me. It's really silly that you have to jump through these hoops, but whatever. 

PS: The TP Link support didn't quite grasp the issue; they insisted on leaving the printer on a guest network not realizing that everything else at my home was on the primary. I guess you could always migrate everything over to your guest network but this method is a little cleaner

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 346

Replies: 0

Related Articles