Deco M5 - Maximum Wifi Speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-09 02:47:32
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.9

Dear TPLink Support,

I just purchased pack of 3 Deco M5 one week ago. Since to them, I have been noticed that all mobiles (Samsung Galaxy S10+ and S9+) are not being able to connect with the fastest speed as previous routers. The maximum link speed is 650 Mbps but mostly 585 Mbps, even 1 meter away from the router.  Previous routers, one provided by internet provider Fiberhome and Linksys EA6700 same device was able to negotiate 866 Mbps speed.

Is there a limitation in Deco M5 which doesn't allow/support higher link speed?

Very disappointed since as soon as I move a little away from the router, the maximum speed is less than what I pay for my internet provided (400/200 Mbps).

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M5 - Maximum Wifi Speed
2020-11-09 16:40:07

@IgorRJ 

I am not TP Link support, but I can share my experience.

What you have could be an issue between Samsung and TP-Link hardware. I just tested my Deco M5 with non-Samsung Android 9 smarpthone: when I sit in front of M5, just a meter away like you did, I am getting link speed 866 Mbps.

Also, not often but happens, I am getting same link speed when smartphone is connected to M9 Plus, with a bedroom door between them.

I am also getting 866 Mbps when I move 2 meters away and 4 meters away from M5, while it is still in direct sight. Did clean test by turning radio off/on at each of two locations.

I am lucky I do not have much interference from neighbours on 5Ghz, the strongest signal from them comes under -80dBm, which is considered weak.

Screenshot from my smartphone Network details screen:

Options
Re:Deco M5 - Maximum Wifi Speed
2020-11-10 13:14:28

@Alexandre. 

Hello Alexandre, thank for your sharing.

It's a shame to tp-link since Samsung is the top brand of mobile and I have never face this problem before with any brand of router/AP. It's not acceptable purchase a suck expansive solution and did not work as designed.

@Kevin_Z 

Hello, I kindly ask you whether you could give your thoughts about this issue? Can it be solved with some workaround?

Otherwise, I'm really inclined to send back this router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6937

Replies: 2

Related Articles