Cannot forward FTP to FTP server inside my network.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-10 19:03:45 - last edited 2020-11-12 02:27:53
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.15 Build 20200628 rel.63501(5553)

Cannot make it work. Even with the FTP preset in the router.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re: Cannot forward FTP to FTP server inside my network.-Solution
2020-11-11 15:15:06 - last edited 2020-11-12 02:27:53

@Renato-Ribeiro 

I suppose you're using a Windows native FTP service. If that's the case refer to: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-and-manage-ftp-server-windows-10

to set it up. I would recommend you to use passive mode, so you can define a port range for data port in FTP Firewall support:

Then you can define (for example port range 5000-5005):

Finally you have to define a port forward of this port range in the router WebGUI (in your case internal Ip address is 192.168.10.11):

I you are using 3-rd party software for the FTP server then you should look where you can define this port range (to receive passive connections through the firewall) and accordingly make a port forward through the router's WebGUI like shown above.

Of course the port forwarding of TCP port 21 (FTP control port) is mandatory - you already configured that with the pre-defined services form the router's menu.

And you should remove the port 20 TCP forwarding (not necessary in passive mode).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re: Cannot forward FTP to FTP server inside my network.
2020-11-11 07:13:57 - last edited 2020-11-11 15:28:39

For FTP access to be able to work from outside your network, you need to port forward both control (port 21 TCP) and data (port 20 TCP) port. Data port depends on your FTP server implementation, port 20 TCP is for Active mode, higher random TCP port range is for passive mode. See this video for general implementation or this reference if using a USB connected device to the router.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2020-11-11 14:00:10

@Ivaylo 

I have opened the ports but they are still closed. Maybe this is due to the FTP function using USB. But I am not using the USB. I want the FTP connection to be on the local IP 192.168.10.11.

Ports on the network.

I have successfully connected using the openVPN functionality. But I did not want to use it with the VPN.

It seems to be some bug on the firmware.

I also tried using the port 22 yesterday and deleted the configuration, but it is still showing that it is open.

BR.

Options
Re: Cannot forward FTP to FTP server inside my network.-Solution
2020-11-11 15:15:06 - last edited 2020-11-12 02:27:53

@Renato-Ribeiro 

I suppose you're using a Windows native FTP service. If that's the case refer to: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-and-manage-ftp-server-windows-10

to set it up. I would recommend you to use passive mode, so you can define a port range for data port in FTP Firewall support:

Then you can define (for example port range 5000-5005):

Finally you have to define a port forward of this port range in the router WebGUI (in your case internal Ip address is 192.168.10.11):

I you are using 3-rd party software for the FTP server then you should look where you can define this port range (to receive passive connections through the firewall) and accordingly make a port forward through the router's WebGUI like shown above.

Of course the port forwarding of TCP port 21 (FTP control port) is mandatory - you already configured that with the pre-defined services form the router's menu.

And you should remove the port 20 TCP forwarding (not necessary in passive mode).

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-11-12 02:29:59

@Ivaylo 

I was able to make it work but not using port 21, I used port 65000. In my opinion, there is a bug here.

Also, you were right about the passive settings.

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-11-12 02:50:28
Glad to see you have sorted it out. The reason that it won't work on external port 21 maybe because your ISP filters this port. But then again using a high range external port 65000 will improve your network security.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1609

Replies: 5