wifi connection 10x-12x slower than cable connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

wifi connection 10x-12x slower than cable connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
15 Reply
Re:wifi connection 10x-12x slower than cable connection
2013-02-18 16:21:00
I found a new version of network card (not wifi) on INTEL web site. even if i update the driver and connect with cable the computer to router, i improve speed (jPerf) from 35 Mbps to 50.5 Mbps.
But it still too FAR from GIGA LAN as TP-LINK says for such router.
Options
2013-02-18 20:52:42
after getting help from a friend, i changed my cat5e cable wiring to a different wiring ( http://www.zytrax.com/images/cat5_color.gif). I used the B version and now cabled connection goes to 789 Mbps. so adapter, NAS and router are ok for cabled connection and giga lan.

however the same computer in wifi mode with the same NAS and router still show a 6Mbps speed :( when router is a 5m distance from this computer) :-(
Options
2013-04-25 17:35:30

alain.roger wrote

after getting help from a friend, i changed my cat5e cable wiring to a different wiring ( http://www.zytrax.com/images/cat5_color.gif). I used the B version and now cabled connection goes to 789 Mbps. so adapter, NAS and router are ok for cabled connection and giga lan.

however the same computer in wifi mode with the same NAS and router still show a 6Mbps speed :( when router is a 5m distance from this computer) :-(

I think you should try to modify your WIFI setting and set the Channel Width to 20 MHz instead of (Auto or 40 Mhz), because whenever you increase your channel width, you may be picking up interference from another close channel and that will effectively slow you speed.

* Lets say you are on channel 6 with 20 MHz width channel. That means your your spectrum extends 10 Mhz below and above channel 6, that means you are over lapping on channels 4 thought 8.
* Now say someone is on channel 1 with 20 MHz channel and their spectrum extends up to channel 3. No problem.

* Then you change to 40 MHz...suddenly you are over lapping on that other radio and the interference will decrease the link reliability, forcing you into a lot of retries. With all those retries, you apparent speed will appear to drop.

In regards to the wifi channel selection, I would suggest you to leave it at "Auto" instead of a specific channel, as you may have a lot of interference with other wifi broadcast router in the neighborhood. With the automatic channel selection, the TP-LINK router will select the best channel where there are the least interference.
Options
2013-04-26 12:03:33

FreePix wrote

I think you should try to modify your WIFI setting and set the Channel Width to 20 MHz instead of (Auto or 40 Mhz), because whenever you increase your channel width, you may be picking up interference from another close channel and that will effectively slow you speed.

* Lets say you are on channel 6 with 20 MHz width channel. That means your your spectrum extends 10 Mhz below and above channel 6, that means you are over lapping on channels 4 thought 8.
* Now say someone is on channel 1 with 20 MHz channel and their spectrum extends up to channel 3. No problem.

* Then you change to 40 MHz...suddenly you are over lapping on that other radio and the interference will decrease the link reliability, forcing you into a lot of retries. With all those retries, you apparent speed will appear to drop.

In regards to the wifi channel selection, I would suggest you to leave it at "Auto" instead of a specific channel, as you may have a lot of interference with other wifi broadcast router in the neighborhood. With the automatic channel selection, the TP-LINK router will select the best channel where there are the least interference.

I have the same problem as well.

Hi FreePix, I reset the router as per your suggestion, but, the connection is still slow. Any others suggestion?
Options
2013-04-28 21:53:45
Can you check if your antenna are properly attached ?

Finally what type of WIFI card is used on your computer ?
Options