Best configuration of Deco m4 + Anchor c7

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-21 08:22:16
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.3

Hello everyone,

I've just setup a network for my home. My home is quite a big house with thick walls. 

I have virgin media broadband with the 300mbs package. But the stock virgin box is rubbish so I've switched it to modem mode and have brought the anchor c7

The anchor c7 is great but only covers about 40% of the house so I've also brought 3 deco m4's

I've connected the main deco straight to the router (c7) and I've also connected the second (dinning room) deco to the router (c7) I've piggy banked the third deco (upstairs) to the second deco in the dinning room. The decos are on Access point mode.

I just wanted to ask what is the best settings for this setup? Is there any certain configuration which will benefit and give the best results?

Also should I turn the Anchor c7 WiFi off and only use the Decos as the access points? Or should I have the c7 + the decos all providing WiFi

Also nothing is connecting to my Upstairs deco which is nearest to all the rooms upstairs. Everything is connecting downstairs. So the upstairs deco is acting redundant at the moment is there a way to force the devices to connect to that one?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Best configuration of Deco m4 + Anchor c7
2020-11-22 13:50:07

@Aeron First of all, if you use any router, only connect one single deco unit directly into the router. all remaining router Ethernet ports are tabu if you use the Deco as Mesh router (not in access point mode), unless you are okay with what is directly wired to the router and is not the Deco unit has a different IP subnet.

And yes you need to turn off the Archer C7 WiFi. The Deco units I advise to use as your Mesh Router that is then taking care of IP address leases and the WiFi. Although, fom what I can tell in your setup, the Archer C7 is not needed at all, so you can leave it out of the equation completely, having a separate modem connected to the C7 router and then use the M4 Mesh router, this is technically speaking absolutely not needed. You are fine with just the Virgin modem with turned off WiFi and the Deco M4 Mesh WiFi router.

So my suggestion is to connect one M4 directly to the Virgin modem as described in the instructions and only work with the Deco M4 Mesh router, in case you need more, they can be mixed, meaning you can buy any Deco unit and integrate it into your mesh network.

Try to set up the M4 as your mesh router that is providing you with WiFi and then set them farer apart until you do not get a strong WiFi coverage signal when clicking on the Internet Symbol and then on the individual Deco units, they will show you the connection speed. If you see one orange bar, then you could try to move them closer together, there are 3 bar indicators for the WLAN strength.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3052

Replies: 1

Related Articles