Can Ethernet devices go on the guest network OR can guest network have different DNS?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can Ethernet devices go on the guest network OR can guest network have different DNS?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-21 17:46:34
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm trying to set up a Pi Hole on my network, and because I've set it as the DNS server in the Deco app, all the devices need to be able to access it, including those on the guest network. However, the guest network can't access it because it's connected via Ethernet so is on the main network, not guest.

There are two solutions, but I don't know if I can do either:

1) Somehow tell the Deco system that the pi-hole should be considered as part of the guest network, or at least accessible from it.

2) Give the guest network devices a different DNS config, so that they don't bother using the pi hole.

Either would be fine, but I can't work out if I can do either one just with the Deco app. Any suggestions anyone?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Can Ethernet devices go on the guest network OR can guest network have different DNS?
2021-03-15 14:36:36

@Floppy.UK 

I am trying to find out the same thing

My guess is that it would only be possible when you put another router and create a LAN inside a LAN. This is also what I am going to try myself

Internet -> router -> LAN 1 (router LAN IP e.g. 192.168.1.1)

The pi-hole then should be in LAN 1 and as example give the pi-hole fixed IP address 192.168.1.2.  The DHCP server in this router should be setup to provide the pi-hole IP address as DNS server.

Now a second router WAN connection should be plugged in to the LAN 1 router (and this second router will get an IP address e.g. 192.168.1.100 from the lan1 router)

LAN 2 -> your LAN + your guest.

The second router must have a DHCP server that has different IP range than the first router (e.g. 192.168.2.xxx) In this DHCP server again set the pi-hole IP as DNS.

Your PI hole is behind a firewall and NATted by the first router. the real network then is behind anohter firewall.

- Note: This is not tested, but it I am going to test this in my own LAN as well.

Options