Deco M5 instability with ethernet backhaul stablity when configured as AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-22 11:00:15 - last edited 2020-11-22 11:39:37
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20201022 Rel. 66804

I've a tp-link 1043N router loaded with Openwrt. I'm running 3 deco m5 as the AP configured as mesh.

Network has TP-Link 2x SG-108 managed switches

Initially had the network configured with all deco's connected to network hanging off these switches in AP mode. I keep finding random wifi and network drops which suggest that there are ip storms occuring on the network. 

I then read this https://www.tp-link.com/au/support/faq/1794/ General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

I then tried using vlans on my network to manage the ethernet backhaul as if it were separate but this it self does not seem to be stable solution either.

Any suggestions. It seems crazy that you have to directly connect to the deco M5s to make use of ethernet backhaul and separate the rest of the network.

I have a lot of network devices and this just does not seem to make sense.

original config

router - deco AP

- switch no vlans - Deco slave

- switch no vlans - switch no vlans - Deco slave

Vlan config

router - switch vlan 1 - deco AP - switch vlan 3 - deco slave

- switch vlan 3 - deco slave

I was thinking of trying 

router - swtich vlan 1 - deco AP - switch vlan 2 - deco slave - switch vlan3 - deco slave

If i wifi mesh or use direct cable between decos it seems to be ok.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M5 instability with ethernet backhaul stablity when configured as AP
2020-11-22 14:22:49 - last edited 2020-11-22 15:28:23

@brooklyn27 

I think you are overcomplicating things. Some of TP Link FAQ articles are not very clear, but even then I am not sure how you deducted from one you referred to that you'll need separate VLANs to run Deco in AP mode with Ethernet backhaul.

Deco mesh running in AP mode is the easiest setup: you can connect Deco nodes with Ethernet cable anywhere in your network, and that includes Main Deco. No specific LAN/VLAN setup is required.

This is what I have, with Deco mesh in AP mode, and it works on my network:

router - Satelline Deco M5

- switch1 <-Ethernet-> switch2 <-Ethernet->  Main Deco M9 <-WiFi-> Satellite Deco M9

>"If i wifi mesh or use direct cable between decos it seems to be ok."

With troubleshooting you've done, it points at issues with your switches or wiring between switches. Including possibility of some type of conflict between Deco firmware and specific switches/wiring you have.

Options
Re:Deco M5 instability with ethernet backhaul stablity when configured as AP
2020-11-23 12:00:07

@Alexandre. Thanks for the confirmation that you have successfully managed this setup.

I was going to try a vlan as an alternative to separate ethernet that i tried that worked. 

However what i have discovered is that i did have a dlink router further up in the network and can only assume this has the dlink switch issue.

I have removed it and seen much better performance.

There are still some issues with repeated dns requests and acknowledges that seem to come in bursts from time to time but all in all a much more stable network.

thanks for the response..

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 966

Replies: 2