I just got gigabit internet, and my router doesn't seem to be able to handle it.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

I just got gigabit internet, and my router doesn't seem to be able to handle it.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-24 13:42:43
Model: Archer C2300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.3 Build 20180611

Hello,

I just got gigabit internet the other day from 350Mbps, and when I do a speed test from my PC that's connected via Ethernet I only get 750Mbps. If I do it straight from the modem (which I have in bridge mode) I get around 950Mbps, but through my router my connection drops to 750Mbps.

My router has a built-in speed test, and through there I get around 850Mbps. I read online that turning QoS and other features off might help, and I looked around and set QoS to low (there is no off option from what I can see), and all other settings looks normal from what I can tell.

I am using Cat5e cables, and the router model is TP-Link Archer C2300 v1.0

The test highlighted in red is when I had my PC connected to my modem directly, the ones in the 800's is straight from my router, and the ones in the 700's is from my PC to my router.

Options
5 Reply
Re:I just got gigabit internet, and my router doesn't seem to be able to handle it.
2020-11-24 14:12:52

@roflcopter 

Don't you have that visual in QoS settings :

Try to turn off SPI Firewall and DoS Protection as well and see if that matters:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:I just got gigabit internet, and my router doesn't seem to be able to handle it.
2020-11-24 14:35:52 - last edited 2020-11-24 14:39:30

@Ivaylo 

My settings dont look exactly like that. After turning everything off now I get 830mbps, but early this morning I was getting about that speed before turning those settings off. Also, I don't know if I want to keep those features off. I just enabled everything again and I am getting the same speeds. 

I am about 100mbps short of what my modem seems to be able to deliver still (maybe even a little more).

This link says that my router should be able to reach 930Mbp/s -> Archer C2300 Max Speeds

Options
2020-11-24 14:48:31 - last edited 2020-11-24 14:55:06

You're right, turning off is just for the testing purposes. You're using more recent FW than the screenshots I sent - hence the difference. A lot of extras are enabled now I can see, I believe previously the QoS could've been disabled totally (screenshots I sent). Can you observe router's CPU and memory utilization during the tests ? That way you can see if the router is overutilized. The other thing I can suggest is to switch QoS to Device Priority and point to your PC - see if any difference in the bandwidth.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2020-11-24 15:10:52

@Ivaylo 

Yea I looked at the CPU and Mem usage earlier and it maxed at around 40-50% on both ends when it reached 830mbps. I also set my device to high priority and it speeds remained the same. I am gonna test a few times straight from the modem again and post the results here.

Options
2020-11-24 15:22:47 - last edited 2020-11-24 15:23:20

@roflcopter 

These are the speeds I get when I remove the router and it is just the modem.

I was thinking about getting this new router instead: https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1046_365&item_id=157149

I saw good reviews on the internet, and there was one comparing other routers in the similar price range and the ASUS seemed the best:

https://dongknows.com/router-matchup-asus-rt-ax3000-vs-netgear-rax40-vs-tp-link-archer-ax50/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 711

Replies: 5