Problems of WDR-4900

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Problems of WDR-4900

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
73 Reply
Re:Problems of WDR-4900
2013-03-07 18:33:30
Almost 24 hours no reset!!!
Options
Problems of WDR-4900, unstable and low download speed even unable hardware NAT
2013-03-07 23:29:48
Problem same as previous mentioned.
Therefore, I upgraded this beta version. Unstable seems to be solved but still a bit dis-link (not always as before).
However, the download speed is slow even with hardware NAT. It is worser than my previous 3 years old Zyxel NBG-460N, concurrent speed is lower, I found that it is almost half of my Zyxel. May be this is Beta version. Hope V2 can improve the needed performance.

My question:
1. Is there any setting that I need to do when I used concurrent downloading? (like the Ingress/Engress setting??? mentioned in previous thtreads)
2. How to do setting to listen online RTHK radio program?
3. How to maximize the speed of downloading if I used Orbit Downloader?

Thanks...
Options
2013-03-09 17:24:14
Just read above and found a new beta version firmware, will download and try these days. Thanks to the firmware writers' affords :D
Options
2013-03-12 12:11:49
Upgrade new beta firmware up to now about 3 days, seems all problems fixed. For I am not using streaming or listening to internet radio. Anyone still have problems not fixed yet? Please share :) Thx~~
Options
2013-03-12 18:11:44
Hi I have installed the beta version of the firmware but I keep voting the connection
Options
2013-03-13 17:49:05
Thanks to darkinners, your recommendation to flash the beta firmware has helped make my WDR4900 function more smoothly.

Currently on 100 Mbps fibre broadband connection but getting only about 45 Mbps wirelessly. Grateful if anybody could advise if tweaking the following would help increase the wireless speed :

(a) enabling Bandwidth Control Settings; and
(b) switching from the internet service provider's default DNS to Google or Open DNS

darkinners wrote

Ok TP-Link just released a new beta firmware, which solved ALL of my previous problem with WDR4900..

If you have WDR4900 V1, please download and flash it.

wdr4900nv1_en_3_14_1_up(130304)_beta.bin

Unofficial change report(base on my personal testing)
- P2P application no longer made the router unstable.
- Fixed real time media streaming bug
- Hardware NAT work again, no longer needed to disable for stability .
- Bandwidth control no longer needed for stability issue.
- Wi-Fi speed at dual band concurrent setting back to where it should be. No more stability or slow down issue.

download here:
ftp://everbest.ftpserver.biz/Share/TP-Link/TL-WDR4900 Firmware/

Update Procedure:
1. Open an Internet Browser (e.g. IE/ safari) and type 192.168.0.1 into the URL box
2. Enter “admin” into the username and password boxes
3. Click “System tools” in the left menu
4. Click “firmware upgrade” in the left sub-menu
5. Select the attached file (xxx.bin) by using the “browse” button
6. Click “Upgrade” and wait for the reboot

optional: do a 30/30/30 reset before and after the firmware flash.

This is a beta firmware, flash with your own risk.

And this firmware is for WDR4900 V1 ONLY , make sure yours V1 before flashing this firmware.
If yours is V2, this procedure could possibility brick your router

V2 is a 6 external antenna version(sold in Mainland China exclusively) It has different hardware than V1, like different CPU, Wi-Fi chip.

If in doubt, check the bottom of your router. there is a sticker , you can check your WDR4900 version on that sticker.
Options
2013-03-13 20:41:07
I'll try this firmware maybe this weekend. Also my old WRT160N had the same wifi range... that's a bit strange i think!

I have wooden beam ceilings, just a few stone walls and still wifi reception is average. With these 4 mega antenna's i assumed i'd have coverage of a square km ;-)
I can set both bands to the same SSID and password, correct? Is there anything else i can do to extend my range?
Options
2013-03-17 21:58:19
Updated with this BETA firmware seems alot more stable now, with no drop outs
Options
2013-03-18 00:01:57

darkinners wrote

Ok TP-Link just released a new beta firmware, which solved ALL of my previous problem with WDR4900..

If you have WDR4900 V1, please download and flash it.

wdr4900nv1_en_3_14_1_up(130304)_beta.bin

Unofficial change report(base on my personal testing)
- P2P application no longer made the router unstable.
- Fixed real time media streaming bug
- Hardware NAT work again, no longer needed to disable for stability .
- Bandwidth control no longer needed for stability issue.
- Wi-Fi speed at dual band concurrent setting back to where it should be. No more stability or slow down issue.

Update Procedure:
1. Open an Internet Browser (e.g. IE/ safari) and type 192.168.0.1 into the URL box
2. Enter “admin” into the username and password boxes
3. Click “System tools” in the left menu
4. Click “firmware upgrade” in the left sub-menu
5. Select the attached file (xxx.bin) by using the “browse” button
6. Click “Upgrade” and wait for the reboot

optional: do a 30/30/30 reset before and after the firmware flash.

It's still rather unstable with this BETA firmware, so I might want to do this 30/30/30 reset, but I have no clue what you mean by that.
Could you please explain that, and also confirm if there is another firmware update coming up soon? This is stressing me out. Skype calls that drop often and random drops in online games.. :(

Thanks.
Options
2013-03-20 03:47:38
My media server doesn't work, and I connected a NTFS drive.
I didn't try this beta firmware. I'll wait to the next release.
I hope It will be available soon
Options
Related Articles