Deco X20: Very slow Download speed, Fast Upload

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-28 13:40:31 - last edited 2020-11-28 15:45:45
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.6 Build 20201013 Rel. 58271

Dear all.

I have just installed my X20 Mesh, and everything is quite disappointing. I have 1 Gbit internet, and when measuring the speed on my PC directly, connected by wire to the Ethernet, I get around 910 Mbits download speed.

When I measure internet speeds in the Deco app, I get 873 Mbits upload, great, but only 273 Mbits download, which is terrible. First, I thought it might be, that the X20 is just a terrible router, but when I changed to Access Point, I had exactly the same speeds.

It would not even be that bad, but when I then measure internet speeds on my mobile devices, I get around 30 to 80 Mbits on my Galay Note 20 Ultra, and 25 to 40 Mbits on my iPad Pro.

With my old 70 Dollar access point, I got easily 400 Mbits on either device.

I have already looked for a solution, but I didn’t find any tips that are more than “restart your device”.

I would appreciate any real help.

Thank you very much in Advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco X20: Very slow Download speed, Fast Upload-Solution
2020-11-28 14:17:37 - last edited 2020-11-28 15:45:45

@Chregu 

Connect your Main Deco directly to ISP router, using networking cable that came with Decos. Set Deco mesh to run in AP mode. Power off all other Decos and, I would really recommend that, disconnect everything from the router (WiFi and wired) other than Main Deco.

That will exclude anything which could influence download speed: bad cable, some app downloading tons of data, conflict with other devices on your network, switches, etc., etc. You practically going to test X20 on idle network with the network cable that is provided by TP-Link.

In that extremely straightforward and simple configuration, run "Test Internet Speed" from Deco app again. If you are still not getting good download/upload numbers, you may wish to look for a different mesh system.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco X20: Very slow Download speed, Fast Upload
2020-11-28 13:59:40
I don’t seem to be able to edit. Just as an additional information, upload speeds from my phone are more than 600 Mbits. Therfore Wi-Fi speed cannot be the issue. It must be an issue with how the X20 connects to the internet.
Options
Re:Deco X20: Very slow Download speed, Fast Upload-Solution
2020-11-28 14:17:37 - last edited 2020-11-28 15:45:45

@Chregu 

Connect your Main Deco directly to ISP router, using networking cable that came with Decos. Set Deco mesh to run in AP mode. Power off all other Decos and, I would really recommend that, disconnect everything from the router (WiFi and wired) other than Main Deco.

That will exclude anything which could influence download speed: bad cable, some app downloading tons of data, conflict with other devices on your network, switches, etc., etc. You practically going to test X20 on idle network with the network cable that is provided by TP-Link.

In that extremely straightforward and simple configuration, run "Test Internet Speed" from Deco app again. If you are still not getting good download/upload numbers, you may wish to look for a different mesh system.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco X20: Very slow Download speed, Fast Upload
2020-11-28 15:19:40

@Alexandre. 

Hi Alexandre

Incredible. Thirst I thought: "There's nothing downloading, I know that, and I've tried multiple cables!" But then I figured, let's try anyway. And I found out, that the other Ethernet-plug I was using seems to have an issue. 

Now the mesh isn't distributed as well anymore, but I have much better speeds. Thanks a lot. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2873

Replies: 3