DECO M9 Plus + WIFI CAMERAS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-01 15:28:18 - last edited 2020-12-02 22:11:23
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi ALL,

I am planning to buy a set of Deco M9 Plus with three base stations. I am planning to implement them into my 4 floor house. (Each Floor is around 65 squire meters)

Top of it, I am planning to carry around 12xWifi Camera's data over these DECO M9. Upon my search , the traffic from each Wifi Camera will require a bandwidth of 6Mbit/s. So I may need around 6x12=72 Mbit/s total capacity until my IP Network Video Recorder (NVR). The camera brand I am planning to use is Hikvision Wifi Cameras.

Top of that there will be two users at most to use internet traffic over DECO M9. (My internett connection from the ISP will be around 40 Mbits/s)

Does anyone have experience using such configuration? Very much appreciate if anyone can share their experience with such big quantity of cameras.

BR

Paydi

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:DECO M9 Plus + WIFI CAMERAS-Solution
2020-12-01 17:27:10 - last edited 2020-12-02 22:11:23

@Paydi I would strongly advise against what you're about to do using DECO units. You will have so much WiFi chatter on your WiFi network that it would grind to a halt when you start to use everything else in your home.

What you ideally want is 3 separate WiFi SSID for the cameras, IOT devices and regular devices (phone/laptop/tabs/TV etc). From what I have seen, you can't do this with DECO's.

For your use case, I would recommend to you to look at TP-Link EAP 225/245 V3 models with OC200 controller. These support WiFi mesh as well as Ethernet backhauls and has way more features and controls compared to DECO series. I would say you would be spending similar amount to M9 with these units.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:DECO M9 Plus + WIFI CAMERAS-Solution
2020-12-01 17:27:10 - last edited 2020-12-02 22:11:23

@Paydi I would strongly advise against what you're about to do using DECO units. You will have so much WiFi chatter on your WiFi network that it would grind to a halt when you start to use everything else in your home.

What you ideally want is 3 separate WiFi SSID for the cameras, IOT devices and regular devices (phone/laptop/tabs/TV etc). From what I have seen, you can't do this with DECO's.

For your use case, I would recommend to you to look at TP-Link EAP 225/245 V3 models with OC200 controller. These support WiFi mesh as well as Ethernet backhauls and has way more features and controls compared to DECO series. I would say you would be spending similar amount to M9 with these units.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:DECO M9 Plus + WIFI CAMERAS
2020-12-01 18:32:12
Thank you very much AsankaG....Really apreciated.. On the other hand in DECO ads, they say 20 IP cameras can be connected type of thing which frustrates me..But you are right , probably I may end up with WIFI scattering. My problem is that my house is not suitable to lay cables for the PoE of TP Link EAP. So DECO seemed to me as a better solution..Let me take your advice and do some more detailed search as I am not that much of familiar with EAP....
Options
2020-12-01 19:36:27

@Paydi You could technically get away with 20 IP Camera's if they're like Ring Doorbell/Secuirty camera style ones. Since you're using an NVR, there will be a contant stream of traffic from each camera to the NVR which is where my worry was. So having this on a separate network is ideal.

Regarding wiring, EAP's comes with a PoE injector. You can use that to power the accespoint just like you would with the Deco unit (Ethernet cable is your power cord,injector is the power brick). And you can use WiFi mesh to connect them all. So you don't have to wire everything to a central location.

But, you need to make at least one (the main unit) is connected to your switch/router/modem to support the WiFi mesh function.

Options
2020-12-01 20:50:16 - last edited 2020-12-01 20:54:33

Thank you so much... I am not so much into Wifi networks but I can see that EAP series supports MU MIMO. I suppose this is the main reason why you are recommending to use EAP instead of DECO. Because other than this DECO also seems to handle the capacity and at the end of the day I will be also connecting one of the DECO to the switch/router?modem via ethernet cable. I also wondr about coverage of EAP series...Is it better than DECO M9?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1159

Replies: 4

Related Articles