Deactivate QOS on Deco M5 router. It's causing consistent issues with video conferencing.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deactivate QOS on Deco M5 router. It's causing consistent issues with video conferencing.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-04 00:15:29
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

I have a Deco M5 3-pack with one as the router (attached to AT&T fiber service 120mbit up/down) and with the satellites hard wired via ethernet.  Speed tests via wired and wireless are great in all parts of the house.  However, when using Zoom video conferencing (via multiple accounts and services, to multiple different audiences) the upload performance from my PC is consistently terrible.  Screen sharing and video outbound are always garbled. Any time of day. As a participant my downloaded content is fine, but when presenting anything, even low resolution video or images, the performance immediately drops.

I have tried:

1. setting the one device using Zoom (a PC that is wired) as the only one with 'high priority' in the QOS settings. 
  2. raising the bandwidth limit. 
  3. lowering the bandwidth limit. 
  4. making sure no other devices are downloading or uploading anything at all. 
  5. Multiple speed tests before/after. The speed tests always show 120/120.

The last thing I tried was taking my PC and putting it plugged directly into the AT&T box so it did not have to go through the Deco M5 as a router.  As if by magic, Zoom performs beautifully.  There are no issues with video, audio, or screen shares.  Clearly the Deco M5 is doing something to the traffic (not slowing it down, as a bulk speed test shows it is very fast) that is corrupting my Zoom sessions.  I am pretty sure its relaed to the attempt at QOS mediation the router is doing. I would like a way to turn the whole QOS system off entirely (or turn off whatever is causing such disruption in bandwidth consistency).

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deactivate QOS on Deco M5 router. It's causing consistent issues with video conferencing.
2020-12-04 01:12:29
You might want to try putting the Deco in AP mode, which might disable the QOS handling, since it would bridging the traffic.
Options
Re:Deactivate QOS on Deco M5 router. It's causing consistent issues with video conferencing.
2020-12-04 03:16:00

@Valleydude 

The AP mode puts the ATT box back as the gateway, and when running that way with multiple hardwired APs there is a pretty constant roaming issue because the gateway won't move traffic to the new AP after a client moves around. I thought the Deco was an elegant solution and to fix that it was, but this Zoom thing has me stressed out since I rely on that service daily for my job. 

Options
2020-12-04 12:52:28

@jeffm_614 

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that client connected by WiFi to ATT gateway does not roam to Deco node.

Solution is to disable WiFi on ATT gateway. If it is not possible, change its SSID to something different, so that it does not conflict with your Deco mesh network.

Options
2020-12-04 12:57:05

@Alexandre. Even with local wifi off, and handoffs between other attached APs the gateway fails to track client connection updates.  The only way for stable operation with multiple APs is to have them run through a primary Deco as a router.

Options
2020-12-04 15:09:25 - last edited 2020-12-04 15:09:55

@Alexandre.  Also, I want to point out that if I put them in AP mode and lose all of the benefits of the router (antivirus/filtering, parental control, app alerts, device dashboard in app) the value prop for a 866mbps capable AC access point 3 pack is not great considering what TP-link charges.  Before I got this kit, I had 2 older dedicated AP devices at 750mbps so I didn't even need it to "just" be some more APs.  Unfortunately it's becoming more clear that TP-Link really does not take performance seriously aside from the number they print on the box.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1263

Replies: 5