Tp-Link Deco M4 Wifi Accespoint and Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-08 21:55:45
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I have 3 Deco M4. Today I use the following setup; Main Deco unit connected to internet home central (Router) via ethernet cable in my house. The second deco is placed on the other end of the house and the third deco is placed in my garage 10 meters away from the second deco in separate building to gain wifi access in my garage. Works ok.

But now I have installed a ethernet cable connected from the home central (Router) in my house and to the garage to get better and faster internet wifi access in the garage. In this case I need an wifi accespoint for the garage; is it possible to connect the ethernet cable i have installed in the garage to the third deco unit and set up only this deco unit as an wifi accespoint and at the same time use the other 2 deco units in my house still in router-mode (mesh)? In the Deco app it looks like choosing mode (router vs accesspoint) have to be the same for all the units. If that is the case I need to buy another wifi accespoint to use in my garage.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Tp-Link Deco M4 Wifi Accespoint and Router
2020-12-08 22:05:35

@Psyfoon 

"Main Deco unit connected to internet home central (Router) via ethernet cable in my house."

Are they (Main Deco and Router) placed side by side, or long distance from each other?

Options
2020-12-08 22:13:00

@Alexandre. 

Side by side.

Alexandre. wrote

@Psyfoon 

"Main Deco unit connected to internet home central (Router) via ethernet cable in my house."

Are they (Main Deco and Router) placed side by side, or long distance from each other?

Options
2020-12-08 22:17:35

Maybe I can remove the third deco m4 unit from my excisting network who the 2 other deco units are connected to and create another new network and then change the mode on the third deco unit to accespoint, plug in the ethernet cable from the home central (router) and everything is good? 

In a perfect world this would be an easy solution 😅😅

Options
2020-12-08 22:18:05 - last edited 2020-12-08 22:18:59

@Psyfoon 

You may be overthinking it.

Your Main Deco has two Ethernet ports. One is used to connect it to Router.

Take your new Ethernet cable and connect it to second Main Deco port. Go to garage and connect your third Deco to the other side of that new cable. 

All three Decos will be part of the same mesh. 

Options
2020-12-08 22:27:50
Wow! Sounds like a really easy solution and also logical. I will try that tomorrow, thank you very much 😃
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 681

Replies: 5

Related Articles