Accessing and controlling devices on Guest Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-08 22:45:33
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.3 Build 202000921 Rel. 42500

I've been struggling with the M9+ since its purchase a few weeks ago.  Managed to set up the two nodes as routers, and am getting good coverage.

Have had many questions, some of which TPLink customer services tried to help me with.

Found and downloaded the manual, but it's of little help.

After much effort, I managed to get a Chromecast recognized by the main network, by trial, error, blunder and luck.

Problems continue.

Current problem:  Managing a Guest Network.

I set up a Guest Network, and it seems to be recognized in "Wi-Fi Settings" but not on "Select a Network":  why?

It's not apparent how to manage the Guest Network.

For instance, a guest's laptop is recognized and functioning on the home network, although it is intended to be on the guest network.  There's a second Chromecast for the use of the guest, but it is not recognized at all and is useless at this point..

There's no help in the manual (that I could find) on managing the Guest Network.

The acute problem (for the past wee is how to move a device (the guest's laptop) to the Guest Network?  And then how to add a device (the 2nd Chromecast) to the Guest Network?

So far this is no fun!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Accessing and controlling devices on Guest Network
2020-12-09 00:29:28 - last edited 2020-12-09 00:33:08

@Old_newbie 

Old_newbie wrote

There's no help in the manual (that I could find) on managing the Guest Network.

The acute problem (for the past wee is how to move a device (the guest's laptop) to the Guest Network?  

1. Make sure under Wi-FI Settings in Deco app on smartphone you have set different Network Name (SSID) for Main Network than for Guest Network. For example: MyNetwork and MyNetworkGuest.
  2. On guest laptop, make it Forget all WiFi networks it knows. If you know how to do it more precisely, you can just make laptop forget MyNetwork SSID.
  3. Configure WiFi on guest laptop to connect to MyNetworkGuest.

Done. Because, your guest laptop does not know MyNetwork SSID, it won't be connecting to it. It will only connect to MyNetworkGuest.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 535

Replies: 1