Setting up VLANs on my Omada Hardware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-13 18:15:58 - last edited 2020-12-15 03:33:50

I am relatively new to using Omada hardware and also learning network setup in parallel.  I have been trying to leverage articles and posts out there but not exactly finding what I am looking for.  This isn't a business set-up but a reasonably advanced home set-up.  Here is the hardware I have:

- TL-SG2428P v1.0 (main managed switch in my basement)

- TL-SG2008P v1.0 (a remote managed switch in my attic connected to the switch above)

- EAP245(US) v3.0 (2nd floor access point)

- EAP225(US) v3.0 (main floor access point)

- OC200 controller connected to the TL-SG2428P directly

- I don't have an Omada gateway/ router yet, using another TP-Link Archer router assigning most of the IP addresses

Additional Context:

- I have ~15 devices connected to the switches via cat5e cables (e.g. desktop, NAS, cameras) and about 20 devices that regularly connect to my Wi-Fi (non-guest) (e.g. iPads, phones, echos)

- I have a guest network enabled for devices that come to our home but aren't ours so they can get internet but can't access other network devices

The set-up and software are generally pretty good so far to work with but now trying to do a few more advanced things for security/ efficieny reasons on the network.  The main thing I am trying to do is largely separate away wired and wireless devices that basically just need the internet and prevent them being a future vulnerability on the network and thought VLANs would be a good idea.

What I was thinking was that I would basically create 2-3 VLANs:

- VLAN MGMT - basically my desktop to protect away from other devices that should never access it as it probably has the most sensitive info

- VLAN 1 - basically devices that need to reach the internet but nothing else internally (e.g. Amazon Echo)

- VLAN 2 - devices that need the internet but also other internal network devices (e.g. NAS, xBox, cameras)

- VLAN 3 - Our work laptops, not sure if this is needed but likely a good idea to keep them on their own

I am assuming if I want to have certain wi-fi devices to fit into these then I need to create a SSID to match the need (e.g. one that would have devices similar to VLAN 1 and one that would have devices similar to VLAN 2 and so on).  Is that correct?

Some of the questions I am trying to figure out are:

- Should all switch ports be assigned to one of those 3 VLANs above?  What if I want a port/ wired devices to belong to 2+ (e.g. my NAS)?

- Can I have devices not connect to my desk top but I can reach all the devices from my desktop (e.g. update firmware/ settings) for would I need to many change VLAN on Omada when I want to do that?

- For the SSID to be in the VLAN do I just check the box and use the VLAN number from when I setup the wired VLAN (e.g. 4010)?

- Is it good practice to essentially disable the ports on the switches I'm not using?

- For the switch port to the router I assume I would all that to All so all of the VLANs can get internet access and a DHCP address?

Any other suggestions/ things I am missing in terms of the settings.  As I mentioned I am new and didn't find a great tutorial for what I was trying to do.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Setting up VLANs on my Omada Hardware
2020-12-15 03:32:22 - last edited 2020-12-15 03:33:50

Dear @TheWookie,

Some of the questions I am trying to figure out are:

- Should all switch ports be assigned to one of those 3 VLANs above?  What if I want a port/ wired devices to belong to 2+ (e.g. my NAS)?

- Can I have devices not connect to my desk top but I can reach all the devices from my desktop (e.g. update firmware/ settings) for would I need to many change VLAN on Omada when I want to do that?

- For the SSID to be in the VLAN do I just check the box and use the VLAN number from when I setup the wired VLAN (e.g. 4010)?

- Is it good practice to essentially disable the ports on the switches I'm not using?

- For the switch port to the router I assume I would all that to All so all of the VLANs can get internet access and a DHCP address?

Welcome, and hope the following info could answer your questions.

-You can assign a port to belong to multiple VLANs, if you configure the switch in Controller mode, just create a Port Profile for the port.

-If you have an Omada gateway, it might be possible by creating a separate VLAN interface for the desktop, and configure ACL rule.

-Basically yes. But please note that the router is required to be VLAN-Aware, otherwise, the SSIDs won't get Internet access.
-You may consider disabling unused ports to prevent unauthorized access. But the switch in Controller mode doesn't support it.

-Correct. And the switch port to the router needs to be tagged since it belongs to multiple VLANs, so does the router port to the switch.

Here is a related setup video you may refer to. 

How to configure Multi-Networks & Multi-SSIDs with TP-Link Omada SDN Products: https://youtu.be/Xv5d-wYs2Yk

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:Setting up VLANs on my Omada Hardware
2020-12-15 22:02:29

@Fae 

Thank you that video was really helpful, once I can find one of the routers that is compatible with the Omada software available I will add to the network and make the changes all at once!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2839

Replies: 2

Related Articles