Archer AX50 getting hot and freezing (dropping all connections)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-14 19:55:42
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9 Build 20200708 rel.55037

Hi,

I am having a very bad experience with a newly bought TP-Link product...

My Archer AX50 is freezing at least once per week. While freezing, it drops all wired and wireless connections (the router itself is not reachable anymore), all the leds are lit steady-green except the rightmost one.

The router gets to around 63 degress celsius on the bottom and 54 on the top. Doesn't seem to be normal, although everyone that bought this model say it gets very hot...

There are only 3 wired clients and 4 wireless clients connected, no special settings, no VPN connection configured.

To restore "normal" working condition I have to manually power if off and on again. This lasts for about another week and then freezes again.

It looks to me as bad software design and bad cooling design.

Is there any other solution than RMA it?

If I manage to get it replaced under warranty, is there any guarantee that the new one will not have the same issue? Especially the thermal issue?

Thanks.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer AX50 getting hot and freezing (dropping all connections)
2020-12-15 03:15:29
I presume you have removed the transparent folio from the top of the router. Place the device in a well ventilated place, not under shelfs or so. You can place the router in vertical position, observe the temperature and see if that improves the thermal characteristics. You can also take a look at CPU&Memory usage and see if it's over-utilized (also probable cause for overheating).
If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2020-12-15 09:03:52

@Ivaylo 

Thanks for your suggestions, but:

- I have of course removed all foil

- The device is in the exact place and position as my old router was (Archer C7), that is, horizontal, on a wooden shelf mounted on the wall.

- I cannot change its orientation, but I presume the difference would not be huge.

- CPU/Memory is fine (50% on average use)

What I am trying to find out is what are the normal CASE temperatures for other users of the same hardware. As I said, everybody reports very high temperatures, but do not give a number.

TP-Link very unhelpfully doesn't expose a means to see the core temperature in the Web interface...

If I use a 12cm fan mounted under the box (powered by its USB 3.0 port), the external temperature drops at about 32 degrees, which is to be expected, but:

- I don't know the real internal temperature

- The router STILL CRASHES every week

So this does NOT solve my problem. I really suspect a software issue here regarding the crashes.

Options
2020-12-15 15:36:21
If anyone with AX50 shares the temp characteristics will be useful indeed, anything in the router logs, during these events ?
If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2020-12-15 16:14:34

@Ivaylo 

Another very NOT useful feature is that when the routercrashes, all logs are deleted, so I cannot see any logs after the router boots back again.

Options
2020-12-15 19:52:13
The other thing you could try is to lower wireless transmission power to medium or low for both bands and see if any difference.
Options
2020-12-15 19:55:19

@Ivaylo 

Can this help with the crashes? I don't see how it can.

Maybe will help with the heating problem, but as I now have a fan mounted underneath, the heating seems not to be the issue here.

I will try just to see the temperature difference, but need the power transmission to be maximum for better coverage.

Options
2021-05-19 13:59:38 - last edited 2021-05-19 14:00:01

Hi! Found this info on a forum: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/tp-link-archer-ax50-ax3000-constantly-dropping-client-connections.3573107/post-21572996 I've set the RTS Threshold for 2.4/5 Ghz bands to 500, and the beacon interval for both bands to 40. For now the temperature seems to be ok. For other users that have this router model try with the above settings. For me works fine for now.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2695

Replies: 7

Related Articles