LAN CABLE TYPE AND LENGTH FOR CONNECTING SECONDARY DECO TO PC

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-16 11:41:49
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I have Deco M5 3-pack router system. The main (primary) router is placed on 1st floor, one secondary router on 2nd floor and the 3rd secondary router on ground floor, and they are wirelessly connected. The wireless network works very well. A desktop PC on 2nd floor which is just 2 metres away from the deco secondary router uses a Mercusys dual bank ac650 USB WiFi adpater and it receives great upload and download speeds. However my PC  which is just 2 meters away from the deco m5 router there, experiences heavy packet-loss and high latency especially when using Zoom app. So i connected my desktop PC's ethernet port to the secondary deco m5 router with a 3 meter CAT6 D-link cable. Unfortunately my PC does not detect the router at all. The network diagnosis says that the network cable is unplugged.!! Then I connected the router and pc with a 1 metre cat5e lan cable. And somehow the deco gets detected. This is weird. Can anyone explain the cable problem. Also can anyone explain the packet-loss problem in the PC when using the USB WiFi  adapter. Surprisingly my wife, who uses a 5 year old laptop which has a 2.4 ghz inbuilt WiFi and is 6-7 metres away from the deco router does not face any packet-loss or latency.

Options
2 Reply
Re:LAN CABLE TYPE AND LENGTH FOR CONNECTING SECONDARY DECO TO PC
2020-12-16 15:36:25 - last edited 2020-12-16 15:41:46

@NAISHADH 

Must be something with the 3-meter Cat 6 cable you are using. Hate to say it, but what if it is a counterfeit? 

At my home network, that includes wired Satellite Deco M5, it is connected to Main Deco with Ethernet cables one over 5 meters long and another 10 meters at least, and a switch in between.

I cabled my house quite a long time ago, so all my Ethernet cables are either Cat 5 or Cat 5e. 

Roku player is connected to the Satellite Deco M5 by another Cat5/5e cable, works just fine.

I've got all my Ethernet cables as a surplus from the Datacenter of a large company, so I know they are good.

I have not had any problems with my Deco that are wired (one M5 and one M9) and with devices that are wired to these Decos (Roku to M5, Sony Android TV to M9).

PS. Unless you are really pushing you network, a good Cat 5e cable is more than enough, no need to go with Cat 6. Also, as you can see from my reply, Ethernet cables longer than 2-3 meters are just fine as far as Deco concerned.

Options
Re:LAN CABLE TYPE AND LENGTH FOR CONNECTING SECONDARY DECO TO PC
2020-12-16 16:47:14

@NAISHADH 

It has a 99.9% probability of the cable being guilty, I do not want to extend myself and tell you about my tragedy with a cat.7 cable from a reputed brand, bought (without need) to improve the one I had from cat5e, when my internet provider I install 600MB symmetric fiber, I had a fight blaming the service or the Router. The culprit was the wonderful cat.7 cable purchased from Amazon

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1781

Replies: 2