Pointless Mesh on Deco X20

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-20 14:40:44
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.05

I have the Deco X20 3-pack and have been struggling with very slow wifi speeds. My original ISP router in one location was often faster.

The Deco X20's are in AP mode using both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

I have tried locating them at several locations around the house to get the best speeds.

1) both the secondary X20's ALWAYS connect back to the Main X20 which is ethernet connected to the modem/router of the ISP.

2) In the latest locations I have used, I placed one in the basement (main, ethernet connected), one on the first floor and one on the second floor where my wife has her office and a desktop machine.

Using the app, I discovered at first that the desktop machine on the 2nd floor, despite having an X20 in the same room would connect to the X20 on the first floor. This morning, I have looked at the app and the desktop machine on the 2nd floor is now connecting to the X20 in the basement. The desktop machine is completely bypassing the X20's on the same floor and one below.

I am really not sure what the point is of having the extra X20's or mesh is!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Pointless Mesh on Deco X20
2020-12-20 15:17:04 - last edited 2020-12-20 15:17:45

@TheCommunicator 

It is client that decides which mesh node to connect to. In your case, that would be "desktop machine." It sees three mesh nodes and by logic which is not under Deco control chooses which one to connect to.

I suggest googling "wifi roaming aggressiveness" and see if applying recommended settings to your desktop can help to improve which node it connects to. 

Also, I would suggest disabling 2.4GHz band in your Deco mesh. 5GHz band signal travels shorter distances, meaning desktop will have less nodes with strong signal to choose from. 

You might also see download speed improvements in your home network if mobile devices (and desktop) run on 5GHz. 

Options
Re:Pointless Mesh on Deco X20
2020-12-20 15:19:28

@Alexandre. 

OK. I will give each of your points a go and see if the results improve.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 711

Replies: 2