a better way to connect 2.45 iot?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-23 22:03:09
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

Hi all!

So I just got 3 Deco M5 - replaced my Tenda with this one.

One thing i notice is that a lot of IOT devices require, that during setup the device (which is usually 2.4G), and the mobile device you use, both have to be on 2.4G band. If your phone is on 5G, and the IOT on 2.4, setup fails.

One way is to simply disable your 5g, but that makes all the devices on your network switch to 2.4.. not the best thing to do sometimes.. esp. if the network is in use.

I am sure (because i've seen tenda do it), that there's a way to force only 2.4G connection for the mobile you are using - i think by mac address it would be easier to do so on the APs, than it is to download special apps and monkey with Android to force it to use 2.4G.

Does anyone know of a good trick to accomplish this? Is it something that is worth asking TP to maybe consider as a future enhancement?

So far i had this happen on a few cameras, as well as few wifi wall light switches.... for each of those i did have to disable 5g for the whole wifi, do my config, then turn 5g back on....

Thx!

GT

Options
1 Reply
Re:a better way to connect 2.45 iot?
2020-12-24 00:29:50

@GregT 

Disable 5GHz on Guest network.

Password protect it.

Connect IOT devices to Guest network.

Also, optionally:

Disable 2.4GHz on Main network.

That is my Deco network setup. Works for me.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 334

Replies: 1

Related Articles