Methods for 2 routers in one home network ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-31 17:01:14
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I own one Archer C4000 and one Archer C1900.

I would like to use both in 2 locations in my house to help wifi coverage.

My internet is coming in from a cable modem. I have put the modem into bridge mode so that it's only a modem, not a gateway/router.

Option 1:

Use one router as an access point, and the other as a normal router.

This is easy to acheive. But does anyone recommend which of these models is better as a router and which is better to be the access point?

I am currently using the C4000 as the access point because it has more capable WiFi, but all of the other features are turned off.

Option 2:

Use both as routers on two different subnets.

I've tried to set them up like this: MODEM -> C1900 router -> C4000 router.   But the PC's on the C4000 can NOT see the PC's on the C1900.

I setup a static route on the c1900 to the c4000 but that didn't work. Maybe I did it wrong?

What is the approach to do this so that I can use both as routers to assign IP addresses and allow all the devices to see eachother?

Option 3:

Should I try to sell the C1900 for a few bucks and purchase some other AP / Mesh system to go with the C4000?

Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:Methods for 2 routers in one home network ?
2021-01-02 17:24:52 - last edited 2021-01-02 18:04:22

I would use option 1, but with C4000 as a main router and C1900 as an access point, because C4000 has more features.

As an AP/Mesh system you can use a DECO. With such system you can even get rid of C4000 as well - you wouldn't need it, because DECO can work in both Router & AP mode.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-01-03 06:18:04

@Ivaylo thanks for the info on DECO / OneMesh ! I wish I would have looked into this before I purchased the C4000. 

I see neither my C1900 nor the brand new C4000 are not even on the list of Firmware-upgradeable routers to make them compatible with DECO/MESH. Darn it.

If I can't get rid of both these routers I guess I will have to live with the c1900 in AP mode and work with 2 different SSID names that I manually jump between.

Options
2021-01-03 10:14:34 - last edited 2021-01-03 14:49:46

@Maniac 

Don't regret. Yes, your both routers are not on the list for OneMesh functionality capable devices.

There's other possibility using either C4000 or C1900, or even both (Option 1 in my previous post).

You can configure SSIDs the same for both routers if you want to. Jumping between two routers (Option 1) won't be manual even the SSIDs are different - you just have to exit first router Wi--Fi range to be transferred to the second one's range. It's not the smooth OneMesh experience, but it's something.

Now, regarding DECO, If you want you can use one of your router (Wi-Fi turned off) with DECO system in this scenario (DECO will be in AP mode).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 682

Replies: 3

Related Articles