Ethernet to PC from wireless Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-01 11:52:45
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi I have a few Deco E4 setup in router mode. My router is plugged into the first Deco. The others are connected wirelessly. I would like to plug a PC by ethernet cable into one of the wireless Deco's. When I plug it in it says "no internet". Could somebody please explain in simple terms how I can get this to work? I have read about changing to access point mode (although I think I then need to change router settings) and IPTV settings on this forum but it's all so confusing. I just need a simple walkthrough to explain if this is possible please? Many thanks

Options
4 Reply
Re:Ethernet to PC from wireless Deco
2021-01-01 13:00:03 - last edited 2021-01-01 13:00:21

@RikW 

Can you share a bit more information about your Deco E4 setup and what you use it for?

RikW wrote

Hi I have a few Deco E4 setup in router mode. My router is plugged into the first Deco. The others are connected wirelessly.

I am assuming you meant to say your Main Deco is connected to ISP router. Is this correct?

Also, two more questions:

1. Have you made any changes in your ISP router settings when you connected Deco to it?

2. Do you need advanced Deco mesh functionality, such as parental controls, or you just want to use Deco to provide good WiFi coverage?

Options
2021-01-01 13:47:49

@Alexandre. Hi thanks for your reply. The main Deco is plugged into my Plusnet ISP router with an ethernet cable. The other Decos were then added by wireless to extend the WiFi network around the house due to poor WiFi coverage. It all works well but I would now like to connect a PC by ethernet to one of those Decos (i.e. not the main Deco).

Other than disabling WiFi on the ISP router I did not change any settings.

I do not need advanced parental controls I just need good WiFi coverage and the ability to connect a PC by ethernet from one of the Decos. I have read a bit about access point mode but I am not sure what changes if any I would then need to make to my ISP router.

Thanks for your help.

Options
2021-01-01 13:58:37 - last edited 2021-01-01 13:59:02

@RikW 

RikW wrote

Other than disabling WiFi on the ISP router I did not change any settings.

In that case, you do not need to make any other changes on ISP router to run Deco mesh in AP mode. 

It is what I did, too, on my home network when I deployed Decos: disabled WiFi on ISP router, connected Main Deco to it with Ethernet cable, changed Deco Operating Mode to Access Point in Deco app. This configuration setting is under More/Advanced.

That was it.

So, just change Deco mesh to Access Point mode in Deco app, give a minute or two for settings to propagate, Deco nodes might restart (might not), and after that you should be able to use any Ethernet port on Satellite Deco to connect PC to it by networking cable.

Options
2021-01-01 14:18:17

@Alexandre. Thanks for your help I will give this a try in settings and will report back if it works ok.

Options