M9Plus - Access Point vs. Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-01 23:03:22 - last edited 2021-01-01 23:04:40
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.3 Build 20200921 Rel. 42500

Greetings and Happy New Year everyone!

I have a very basic question on the fundamental of router vs. AP mode .  I have a comcast cable modem TG3482G (1Gbps with Wifi) at home and M9 connected as router mode (1 base + 2 slaves with Ethernet backhaul).  The cable model and base M9 are in the basements, and the other 2 slaves on the 2nd floor; non in the 1st floor.

• Eventhugh the cable model can download up to 1.2Gbps, I noticed that the M9 could only max around 850M.  Is there anyting you can do to push the download rate closer to 1Gbps?
  • Is there any speed advantage for configuring the M9 as access points for the cable model instead?  I was thinking of leaving the cable modem in the basement and move the base router to the 1st floor as one of the access point.

Thank you much for the help!!

Options
2 Reply
Re:M9Plus - Access Point vs. Router
2021-01-02 00:14:20

@CTX 

These are Deco M9 WiFi specs:

867 Mbps at 5GHz

400 Mbps at 2.4GHz

850 Mbps you experience is very close to the best M9 can deliver in ideal situation.

>Is there any speed advantage for configuring the M9 as access points for the cable model instead? 

Not really, but if you don't use router functionality of Deco, it would make sense to configure Deco mesh in Access Point mode. You will get less overhead (and overheat) in Deco nodes, also will have more flexibility in deployment of Deco nodes.

Options
Re:M9Plus - Access Point vs. Router
2021-01-02 02:58:33 - last edited 2021-01-02 03:34:22

Hi @Alexandre. 

Thank you so much for the quick reply!!  Very helpful!  I will try the access points in this case.

My sincere apologies for the confusion, I didn't explain the 1st question fully.  When I used the Deco app to test the speed of main deco, connected to the cable modem directly, it only gave 850Mbps max even though the cable modem, when tested using teh XFi app, was able to give 1.2Gbps.

Is there any setting you can adjust with the main deco to push the throughput closer to the cable modem speed, as the two are connected using the CAT5e that came with M9?

Thank you again for the help!!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 869

Replies: 2

Related Articles