New Deco M5 units constantly turning red

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-04 12:28:33
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20201022

Good afternoon,

I purchased a Deco M5 3 pack two days ago, and on the first day, it worked perfectly and was seamless to set up. Due to the set-up of the house, we essentially need to have the modem at one end of the one storey home, so by using the three pack in a chain (all connected by Wi-Fi), we were able to extend the Wi-Fi through to the other end of the house (and still get great speeds).

However, beginning yesterday, the system has been fraught with issues. The two satellite M5's constantly have a red light to the extent that they were switching from solid green to red less than every ten minutes (so that I was unable to even update their firmware without plugging them directly into the modem).  Note that the master deco remained green throughout. The middle deco (that has the master one as the source signal and is itself the source signal for the third deco) would frequently display one bar connection to the main deco, even when I moved them to about 60cm away and plugged both into the modem via ethernet.  Even when the internet was stable, the upload speed would be about 2mpbs which is absymal and nowhere near the 50 we were getting the day before. 

I have tried various solutions such as forcing all the decos to update (in case the master one having different firmware was causing issues), resetting them one by one and plugging each into the modem directly. Nothing worked. Tonight, having still encountered the same issues, I reset the entire network. Setting up the master deco again remained a simple task but I have been unable to connect any of the satellite decos again, either due to the app not being able to locate them or due to allegedly an "unstable connection" while connected to the main deco - my phone would drop in and out of the Wi-Fi and the satellite deco would pulse red which would cause the attempt to add the satellite to the network to end in error.

Any advice as to a potential cause? I struggle to imagine it is an issue of distance as the satellites were working perfectly on the first day, and yet were not working at all on the second even when moved into the same room or connected to the modem via ethernet.

Kind regards

Options