Very low download speed on laptop, very high speed on iphone...?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Very low download speed on laptop, very high speed on iphone...?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
22 Reply
Re:Very low download speed on laptop, very high speed on iphone...?
2021-01-08 17:06:03 - last edited 2021-01-08 17:07:00

@MikkelDK 

Yes, I expected more. That is somewhat dissapointing.

Yet, now that you have Deco running in Access Point mode, you can do few more tests.

Test 1.

Turn on Deco Unit 2

Walk to where Deco Unit 3 is - that unit should stay off.

Run previous speed test with laptop and smartphone from Unit 3 location - that will show you what download speed Unit 3 will be getting when it is on.

Test 2.

Turn on Deco Unit 3

In close proximity to it run speed test again, previously turning off/on WiFi on smartphone and laptop to make them connect to Unit 3.

Test 3. 

Now, walk to garage and see what you have there with same speed test.

I expect Test 1 to give you about 200Mbps - 300Mbps, and Test 2 will cut that by half again. What you have in garage will be "Test 2 speed" minus wall and distance impact.

Now that you have Deco M5 mesh running in Access Point mode, this is truly best speeds you can get from that hardware. No tuning or tweaking of Deco parameters will improve that.

If speeds are not satisfactory, you may wish to either consider different mesh system, or perhaps replace Deco M5 with Deco M9. M9 has better hardware specs and might work better for you and it is also possible just two-pack will be enough, eliminating middle unit.

With current prices in my area, two-pack Deco M9 costs same as three-pack Deco M5.

Options
Re:Very low download speed on laptop, very high speed on iphone...?
2021-01-08 18:00:05

@Alexandre. Thank you so much for all your help, i think i have to live with this. The initial reason for me to get mesh was to be able to extebd my wifi to my garage where i work from home, and this actually worked out, as i now am able to connect to to my wifi there. So the speed issue is just a side problem i guess. I am able to browse and have video calls there so i guess the speed is sufficient. I may invest in netgear orbi ax4200 at some point if i can find it cheap.

thanks again

Options
Related Articles