Speed Drop issue with Deco M4 R

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-11 11:39:25
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.3 build 20200918rel.74289 deco m4r version 2.4.9

Hello, 

I recently purchesed the Deco M4R system. I have 8 of them connected as a mesh. I have everywere full bar. I also have a one gigabit internet speed supply from my local provider. I have an issue as on the main Deco connected to the modem ( Red Dot on plan attached.living room),  I get onl y an average of 220 mbps speed and on all others it drops to 30 and even 5mbps. I wonder if the issue is that I have too many Decos connected or due something Im doing wrong. All Decos are updated to latest version. I attached the house plan and how they are placed with a green dot. The Main Deco is the red dot. I appreciate if anyone can help. All decos are connected wirelessly except the main one. Thank you

File:
deco m4 r..jpgDownload
Options
9 Reply
Re:Speed Drop issue with Deco M4 R
2021-01-11 15:10:59 - last edited 2021-01-11 15:12:12

@kukku 

I am assuming your Deco mesh is configured in Router mode. Following recommendations are based on that assumption.

You can run tests to establish if you have too many Decos, or perhaps they are not optimally located. Run next test only if previous was successful.

1. Run "Test Internet Speed" from inside Deco app. It'll run speedtest from inside Main Deco. If you are getting way less than gigabit on that test, there is a problem somewhere between Main Deco and your ISP modem.

2. Turn off all satellite Decos, leaving only Main Deco. Disable 2.4GHz in Deco app WiFi settings for Main network. With smarthpone or tablet in close proximity, about 6ft away, and in plain view, run speed test from it. The speed you'll be getting is the best Deco M4 mesh can deliver.

If you get less than 500 Mbps, check this forum for QoS configuration setting discussions, also see TP-Link article Using QoS feature of Deco.

3. Keeping 2.4GHz turned off in WiFi settings for Deco mesh, turn on one of Satellite M4, preferably closest to Main Deco, and run speedtest from device in close proximity to Satellite M4, connected to it wirelessly. If speeds you are getting are not satisfactory, check signal strength for that Satellite Deco connection to Main Deco, you can find it in Deco app.

4. Continue turning on Satellite Decos, starting with closest to Main Deco, and testing speed for them till you trigger slow speeds again. 

Options
2021-01-11 19:30:52

@Alexandre. Thankyou for your reply. Yes, They are configured in router mode.Unfortunately, very strange,  I cannot find any internet speed test icon in my app. I never had it. Im attaching a shot from my deco app.Thankyou

Options
2021-01-11 19:31:53

@Alexandre. Thankyou for your reply. Yes, They are configured in router mode.Unfortunately, very strange,  I cannot find any internet speed test icon in my app. I never had it. Im attaching a shot from my deco app.Thankyou

File:
Screenshot (67).pngDownload
Options
2021-01-11 19:35:55

Hi Alexandre. Thankyou for your reply. Yes, They are configured in router mode.Unfortunately, very strange,  I cannot find any internet speed test icon in my app. I never had it. Under Router settings,I have only 5 blue icons. Wifi, Blacklist,update Deco,Advanced and WPS.Thankyou

Options
2021-01-11 19:59:23 - last edited 2021-01-11 21:10:50

@kukku 

This is strange. This is where it should be:

I've seen some features dissapearing from my Deco app before, and only fix was to restart the smartphone. Restarting just app won't bring them back.

If you can't get "Test Internet Speed" back - wait till tomorrow, to give TP-Link time to perhaps fix something on their end, and if option is not back tomorrow open new forum topic with "Missing Test Internet Speed option in Deco app" subject line or similar.

Options
2021-01-11 20:25:46
Hi, sorry for the multiple posts..I was having a server exception error.. To be honest .I never had that icon since I downloaded it. Now I tried to download the app again on a different phone ,but same login details, but I had the same results ..no speed test icon..I am wondering if may be something has to do with my region.( Malta, europe)..but I will place a post tomorrow about it to try to figure it out.
Options
2021-01-11 21:08:11 - last edited 2021-01-12 00:34:19

@kukku 

I never thought about regional differences, although I can't figure why speedtest could not be allowed or not supported for specific region.

Anyway, I think there is another place in Deco app you can check if you are able to run speedtest from. See "Step 3" from the QoS article I gave you link to. It implies you can run internal speedtest from there.

I run my mesh in Access Point mode, so I can't verify - this is Router only functionality.

On second thought, I run Deco mesh with M5/M9. What if M4 firmware does not support this speedtest feature? Then, you won't see it in Deco app.

Not having it inconvenient. You can skip Step 1 from my list and try Step 2, but if you get too low speed test results on device that is connected to Main Deco with other Decos turned off, it would not be easy to tell if the problem is withing Main Deco (configuration, etc.) or between Main Deco and ISP modem. Step 1 could have eliminated link between Main Deco and modem as a suspect, or have proven it is a problem.

Options
2021-01-12 16:14:26 - last edited 2021-01-12 16:14:55

@Alexandre. Thanks a lot for your help.I had a day off today. Ichecked. I do not even have the internet option in the QoS section that you mentioned in your last post, but I noticed that on my list of deco devices, if I press on them individually they automatically give me the download and upload speed in real time. .....  So. I removed all the deco and all cables in modem and I connected my laptop with a cat 6 to check  internet first from my provider and I got an 880mbps from 1g which unfortunately I never get the 1g but is good enough.Thats the maximum you can get in Malta. I connected then the main deco and with a speedtest from my phone browser I got only 220mbps( around 5 feet away from deco). 220 wifi from 880 fibre I see it very low. Having said that , I managed to find a problem. The second deco wasnt well in the range of the main Deco.I noticed that signal from first Deco to second was weak ,only 1 bar and orange. So I removed one from the garage as I had two and put it in between, at least I solved the speed issue upstairs. Im only getting around 90mbps upstairs but better than 20/30 before. Im still confused why My main Deco gives out only average of 220mbps from 880.. and my phone is 5g.I expect at least am minimum 400mbps .

Options
2021-01-12 20:21:29

@kukku 

If you only use Deco mesh to deliver strong WiFi signal through you house, consider running it in Access Point mode. That will unlock maximum possible WiFi performance you could get from it.

If you plan to run Deco mesh in Router mode, review the QoS article from link I provided, and set QoS Download Bandwidth value to 1000 - that might improve M4 performance, if this was the bottleneck.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2493

Replies: 9

Related Articles