Best deco for Virgin Media Gig1: M9plus or X60

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-12 10:01:07

We've just upgraded to to the 1000 Mbps Gig1 on Virgin Media. According to https://samknows.com/realspeed/ we are getting 1076 Mbps to the router, but max 500Mbps when over wifi when sat right next to the VM Superhub 4 box.

We are a 3 storey Victorian terrace, so long and thin. Getting wifi across whole house is difficult. No ethernet wiring. Family of 5, so x2 working from home and multiple TV streaming and gaming from 2-3 locations.

Previously used a deco wifi network with 1xM4 connected to the vendor box, and 3xE4 dotted around the house. Get <> 450mbs near M4 and <> 100 - 180 mbs from the E4s (NB I know the E4s have 100mbs ethernet, accidentally bought these before).

So, whats the best mesh wifi to add into this to make best use of the availbale speed/bandwidth.

Was looking at (x3) M9plus vs (x3) X60, and reusing the M4 with a powerline backhaul at the very back of the house. Which is likely to give us the best experience?

M9 - dedicated wifi backhaul, but WIFI 5 so speed maxs out at (theoretical) 800mbs?

X60 - no dedicatted wifi backhaul, but WIFi6 so more bandwith for backhaul?

Any advice/experience gratefully recieved...

Options
2 Reply
Re:Best deco for Virgin Media Gig1: M9plus or X60
2021-01-12 14:29:53 - last edited 2021-01-12 20:34:01

@chriswilcox 

I think the best choice for your Deco mesh upgrade would be Deco X90. According to recent CNET article I can't put link to in this post, Deco X90 should be released this month. Here is relevant paragraph from the article:

"This month [January 2021] will mark the launch of the Deco X90, an AX6600 mesh router with a tri-band design featuring a 2.4GHz band and two 5GHz bands, one of which you'll use as a dedicated backhaul between the router and its satellite devices. That one will sell in a two-pack with the router and one satellite for an asking price of $550."

Article title: "TP-Link's new router lineup at CES 2021 includes Wi-Fi 6E mesh and built-in Alexa"

So, if you could wait another 2-3 months, you may be able to get best of two worlds: dedicated backhaul and WiFi 6 support.

If you can't wait, for your environment I would suggest going with X60. Your WiFi speeds will be at least as fast as what you have now, and you will future proof your home network with WiFi 6 support.

I run Deco mesh which consists of two M9, Main and wireless Satellite, and wired M5. Don't get me wrong: I love Deco M9, but I've chosen them with different requirements in mind. I needed form factor that I can easily wall mount. I don't expect to benefit from WiFi 6 in the next 5 years. My ISP provides 300Mbps and I won't upgrade to anything over 500Mbps any time soon, no need.

Also, my WiFi network utilization is light. Heavy hitters, such as servers, desktops, even TVs - all wired. At any given time I have under 10 mobile devices on my WiFi, and half of those are (almost) zero traffic IoT devices. No WiFi connected security cameras streaming constantly.

Yet, even with that light load Deco M9s are warm on touch. Not hot, but definitely warmer than room temperature. Which comes to important point: heat dissipation. If I were to deploy mesh for medium to heavy WiFi load, I would definitely go with mini-tower node form factor. Mesh node with M9 form factor might overheat much sooner than mini-tower.

Also, think about mesh node hardware design. With mini-tower node, there are less sacrifices in design. Larger antennas can be placed inside, faster CPU can be used without concern for overheating. Overall, less performance sacrifices required than when trying to squeeze all hardware in M9 form factor.

------------------------

A few housekeeping advises for your current Deco mesh. I would have expected to see faster than 500Mbps from M4. If you run Deco mesh in Router mode, check TP-Link article Using QoS feature of Deco. You may wish to increase value of QoS parameter(s) to 1000 to see if it improves WiFi speed.

Also, if you have 2.4GHz enabled in Deco app WiFi settings, disable it temporarily for the purpose of testing and run speed test for device connected to Main Deco M4 with guaranteed use of 5GHz.

Options
Re:Best deco for Virgin Media Gig1: M9plus or X60
2021-02-02 11:39:02

@chriswilcox 

Hi I have an issues on the M4

I get full speed 900mb from tp link deco via ethernet.

However when I test with one main deco via WiFi I still get 200mb on all WiFi devices.

Any advice?

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/249988

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1510

Replies: 2

Related Articles