Deco connection keeps dropping.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-12 11:29:46
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.3

Hello Everyone,

I'm experiencing problems with my network at the moment.

So I've got Virgin Broadband 500mpbs package.

I'm using an Virgin Broadband box in Modem mode then an Archer C7 connected to the Virgin Box

The Archer C7 is in Router Mode and is doing the DNS and the DHCP.

All Deco M4 are in Access Point mode - I've Disabled only 2.4Ghz in WiFi and only have 5Ghz enabled and used the Guess network to only provide 2.4GHz coverage around the house on an different SSID name. Also I'm getting the right speeds when everything is working.

I've got one Deco M4 (Living room) Connected through Ethernet to the back of the Archer C7 Providing WiFi for the downstairs living room area.

I've also got another Deco M4 (Dinning Room) connected through Ethernet to the back of the Archer C7 providing WiFi to back of the house.

I've got another Deco M4 (Upstairs Bedroom) connected through Ethernet to the back of the Deco M4 in the Dinning Room.

My upstairs bedroom Deco is connected through Ethernet to my PC.

What would happen is my upstairs Deco will register to my PC as my network name 2.4Ghz which is my Guest network.

Then I would do a speed test and everything would be fine.

Then randomly it would disconnect and my speed would reduce down/ Disconnect to around 90mbps like it has just switched over to the 2.4ghz band even through it is connected through Ethernet

I would wait 2 minutes and it would all be working again.

I'm currently working from Home and this is interrupting my work as I could be on a VOIP call and it would just cut out.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?

Options
10 Reply
Re:Deco connection keeps dropping.
2021-01-12 13:00:43

@Aeron 

I am facing same issues.with my M5. 

I hope someone can provide some tips how to solve it. 

Options
2021-01-12 13:01:03

@Aeron 

Options
2021-01-12 13:01:13

@Aeron 

Options
2021-01-12 15:30:31 - last edited 2021-01-12 15:31:16

Aeron wrote

My upstairs bedroom Deco is connected through Ethernet to my PC.

What would happen is my upstairs Deco will register to my PC as my network name 2.4Ghz which is my Guest network.

@Aeron 

It appears you have very nice configuration, where everything is wired.  I can't figure what does "will register to my PC as my Guest network" mean in this context. Can you elaborate, perhaps with screenshot?

Wired Decos in Access Point mode will be not much more than two-port gigabit switches. If they misbehave, the usual suspect(s) are wiring: Ethernet cables. The focus on troubleshooting should be there.

If Deco can't use Ethernet, even briefly, it'll switch to wireless backhaul. The LED on Deco node might go Red momentarily, at least that what happens on my wired Satellite M5 when I disconnect Ethernet cable from it. Clients stay connected to it, but they don't have Internet until Satellite Deco finds Main Deco and connects to it wirelessly.

When I connect Ethernet cable back to Satellite Deco, it switches to Ethernet backhaul seamleslly.

During an event, do you see LED lights changing on any of your Satellite Decos that are in the daisy chain to PC? That may not necessarily be the closest Deco to your PC that goes Red.

Does your PC have WiFi network card, by any chance, in addition to Ethernet port? That to cover possible case when Ethernet connection between PC and Deco gets bad and PC switches to WiFi.

When you open Network Settings on your PC (assuming it runs Windows), do you see it reports WiFi or Ethernet connection? Here is screenshot for Ethernet connected desktop:

Also, at the moment when PC appears to be disconnected, check Network Status again and see what it says.

Options
2021-01-12 16:13:23 - last edited 2021-01-12 16:15:10

@Alexandre. 

Hello Alexandre,

Thank you for your reply.

As you see in the screenshot you can see my SSID name but it also says 2.4GHz when in the deco configuration my Normal WIFI network is named VM5751458 (Just 5Ghz enabled) and my Guest network on the 2.4Ghz band is VM5751458 2.4 GHZ

But through the Ethernet it is giving me around 500mpbs down and about 30mpbs up which is correct.

But what would happen is my network would like freeze (from Deco point of view) and stop working for a minute or so. Also the Deco down stairs in the dinning room would also go slow which i guess daisychains to the deco upstairs.

I should be getting a stable connection as it wired through Ethernet

The Deco in the Living room works perfectly and I don't ever experiece any problems with that one as that one is connected to the Sky Q and deals with streaming 4K content and never buffers.

It's just something is wrong with the Deco in the Dinning Room which seems to mess up the Deco Upstairs.

The lights stay Blue as I'm aware. It literally a couple seconds downtime but when your Video chatting someone it's noticeable.

Is there any previous or beta firmwares I could try?

Options
2021-01-12 20:30:27 - last edited 2021-01-12 20:31:27

@Aeron 

"The Deco in the Living room works perfectly and I don't ever experiece any problems with that one as that one is connected to the Sky Q and deals with streaming 4K content and never buffers.

It's just something is wrong with the Deco in the Dinning Room which seems to mess up the Deco Upstairs."

You can test that theory easily, by swapping them: Deco unit in the Living Room with Deco unit in the Dining Room. You run your mesh in AP mode and all wired, Deco nodes are interchangeable.

Hopefully that will make problem go away. If not, that will prove the problem is unlikely to be withing Deco hardware.

Also: which one of three Deco units is set as Main Deco?

Options
2021-01-13 11:43:49

@Alexandre. 

Hello Alex,

I've tried that theory and the same issue is still there. I've switched all the decos around. When the Deco's (Dinning room, bedroom) Once they down throttle to 90mpbs they are stable. But when i give the dinning room deco a restart and it works as normal (500mpbs) it then like crashes and switches to 90mpbs.

Options
2021-01-13 12:53:30

@Aeron 

You have proved this is not defective Deco unit problem. 

I still suspect issues with Ethernet cables. 

Set your current Dining Room Deco as Main Deco in Deco app. That will make your network configuration from router to PC very straightforward:

Router<--Ethernet-->Main Deco (Dining Room)<--Ethernet-->Satellite Deco (Upstairs Bedroom)<--Ethernet-->PC

Next time you experience speed drop, before you restart anything check each of Deco nodes in Deco app: what backhaul they report. You may see one of nodes switching to WiFi backhaul or reporting offline, and that will narrow the search for the problem. 

Note that Deco app could occasionally take minute or two to update nodes status. 

Another option is Deco node can't manage permanent gigabit connection with one of the Ethernet cables, and renegotiates to 100Mbps at some point. If this is what happening, there is no easy way to figure where it is.

Options
2021-01-13 13:22:34

@Alexandre. 

Hello,

Yes it seems that the Dinning room deco is are switching the port over to 100mpbs which is affecting the deco upstairs. I've brought a Gigabit switch NETGEAR GS305. Which is coming tomorrow. I'm going to connect router to Switch and Deco on one port and the other Deco on other port. To see if this fixes the problem.

Is there anything I could do in Deco configuration to force it to use the Gigabit connection?

Options
2021-01-13 13:28:26

@Aeron 

There are no configuration settings in Deco to force it use gigabit, just like there won't be in a generic 1000/100/10 switch. 

It is a good idea to try to mitigate problem by using networking switch.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1920

Replies: 10

Related Articles