Tp link deco m5 not in the same network as router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-16 10:12:59 - last edited 2021-01-16 17:14:13
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Let me start by saying I do not know a whole lot about networking. I will try to explain the setup and issue as good as possible.

The internet enters my house and goes directly to a modem router. From there I have a utp cable running to one deco m5 and from that deco runs another cable to a second deco m5. This ensures that I get WiFi access through the entire house. My pc is connected with a utp cable running from deco m5 nr2.

Now, my television downstairs is connected to the modem router downstairs with a utp cable. The problem is that I can't seem to access my Plex media server (running on the pc) from my tv. However, when I switch my tv to WiFi (from the deco's) it directly finds my Plex library.

This tells me that the WiFi from the decos is not directly connected to the wired outputs from my modem router. Is this expected functionality of the decos or might there be something wrong in the settings of my modem router or the decos? 

The decos itself only have two utp ports so I don't have any options there (one is occupied for in and one for out).

Hoping someone is able to make anything out of it. Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tp link deco m5 not in the same network as router-Solution
2021-01-16 12:46:32 - last edited 2021-01-16 17:14:13

@Bas1378 

What you described is supposed to work that way with the network layout you have and Deco mesh running in Router mode. 

The easiest solution is to add more Ethernet (utp) ports to your Main Deco, the one which is connected to modem. 

To do that, get gigabit 5-port networking switch, attach it to "out" port of your Main Deco, and connect second Deco and cable from TV to networking switch.

No need to look for fancy switches, the cheapest can do. Here is an example of a switch that should work for you, and it is currently the cheapest on Amazon in my area: TP-Link 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch | Unmanaged (TL-SG1005D)

Does not have to be TP-Link, any brand can do. Just make sure it says "gigabit" in its description. If it does not say anything, or says 100Mbit, or says "Fast Ethernet" - that's not the right hardware.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Tp link deco m5 not in the same network as router-Solution
2021-01-16 12:46:32 - last edited 2021-01-16 17:14:13

@Bas1378 

What you described is supposed to work that way with the network layout you have and Deco mesh running in Router mode. 

The easiest solution is to add more Ethernet (utp) ports to your Main Deco, the one which is connected to modem. 

To do that, get gigabit 5-port networking switch, attach it to "out" port of your Main Deco, and connect second Deco and cable from TV to networking switch.

No need to look for fancy switches, the cheapest can do. Here is an example of a switch that should work for you, and it is currently the cheapest on Amazon in my area: TP-Link 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch | Unmanaged (TL-SG1005D)

Does not have to be TP-Link, any brand can do. Just make sure it says "gigabit" in its description. If it does not say anything, or says 100Mbit, or says "Fast Ethernet" - that's not the right hardware.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tp link deco m5 not in the same network as router
2021-01-16 14:07:33

@Bas1378 

Another option is to configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode. You can do that through Deco app.

When Decos are running in Access Point mode, your PC connected to Deco should communicate with TV connected by cable to modem with no problems.

Try that first, and if it works for you, that would be the easiest. If not, for any reason, then just change back Deco mesh to Router mode and go with switch, as I suggested earlier.

Options
2021-01-16 15:24:10

@Alexandre. Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try the access point option first and if it doesn't work I'll try the switch. I just happen to have one lying around, but didn't think the decos would be able to communicate with each other when the switch is in between them.

also, when switching to the access point option in the deco app it tells me that nat and qot are not available. Did Google it but not sure if that is going to affect my setup in my use case. 

anyway, thanks for your response and I'll give it a go.

Options
2021-01-16 17:13:42

Happy to tell that it is sorted now. First option didn't fix it, but using the switch I got it to work perfectly.

thanks again!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1137

Replies: 4

Related Articles