Sky Q/Sky Q Mini/Virgin Hub/Deco M5 Setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-16 13:57:29

Hello. I hope everybody is well.

After getting poor signal strength from my Virgin Media Hub, I decided to buy 3 TP Link Deco M5 devices. These have improved WiFi performance considerably but I am having trouble with my Sky Q and finding the perfect connection setup for them. I have done a bit of research and have found out that there is a bit of a conflict between these devices, but was hoping somebody would be able to tell me the correct setup to avoid the Sky Q box bricking (Which is happening frequently since installing the Deco devices) and to ensure my Sky Q mini box works flawlessly too.

My initial setup was;

Virgin Hub (modem mode) --- Deco M5 ----(via WiFi) ----- Sky Q box

I have now changed it to;

Virgin Hub (modem mode) --- Deco M5  ---(wired)--- Sky Q box

From what I've read this *should* solve my issue of the Sky Q box freezing/bricking and having to unplug/plug from the mains to get it back up and running. (Currently waiting to see if it happens again since hard wiring) If this is the case, I believe I would have to turn off the WiFi on the Sky Q box - would this affect the Sky Q Mini box? Would it just be as simple as hard wiring the Sky Q Mini box into one of my Deco M5 devices, and turning off WiFi on both Sky Q boxes to ensure everything works flawlessly?

Thank you so much in advance.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Sky Q/Sky Q Mini/Virgin Hub/Deco M5 Setup
2021-03-20 17:19:25

@TC3610 

I'm having the same problem - just unboxed the M5 and wish I'd researched how it works with Sky. 

TBF it seems to be working ok with my main Sky Q box, which is wired to my Virgin hub, but I can't get the Sky Q Mini box upstairs to work having wired it to a second Deco box. 

Did you try disabling WiFi on your Sky boxes, or has anything else worked?

A

Options
Re:Sky Q/Sky Q Mini/Virgin Hub/Deco M5 Setup
2021-03-20 18:39:02

@TC3610 

I've set my Deco to Access Point mode (in Advanced Settings on the Deco app) and it now all appears to be working.

VM hub to Deco 1 (wired)

VM hub to Sky Q (wired)

Sky Q Mini to Deco 2 (wired)

Hope that helps.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1089

Replies: 2

Related Articles