Deco M4 wifi/ utp backhaul setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-20 19:34:37
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have some questions regarding the optimal setup for my Deco M4 home wifi Mesh setup.

I have a 500mbit download/ 40 mbit upload internet speed package from my ISP. However, I, by far do not get optimal speeds using my Deco setup so I'm looking for advise to improve it. I know the best option would be to fully backhaul the system with UTP connection. However, this is not possible.

Below I have a quick drawing of how I have everything setup.

So:

Ground floor:

Internet modem from ISP

- UTP Connection to main deco

- UTP connection to LAN switch on 2nd floor which is used for 4x wired internet connections

tested speeds over wifi:

250 mbit download

40 mbit upload

1st floor:

- slave deco 1 (auto connects to main deco)

tested speeds over wifi:

170 mbit download

40 mbit upload

2nd floor:

- slave deco 2 (auto connects to main deco instead of slave 1)

tested speeds over wifi:

90 mbit download

40 mbit upload

tested speeds of wired connection from LAN switch:

480 mbit download

40 mbit upload

-----

Deco M4 settings:

- 2.4ghz disabled

- Fast roaming enabled

- Beamforming enabled

- Deco network set to access point (due to using multiple wired connections downstairs from ISP modem which also functions as router)

*Note, wifi networks of ISP modem are disabled.

-----

Now, I am not looking for the full 500mbit download over wifi on the 2nd floor. However, 200+ would be my goal. I've been in touch already with TP-link as to why slave 2 auto connects to the main deco. I've tried placing it in different locations and resetting it and re-adding it to the netork, without success.

I have also tried to:

- Connect the switch to main deco and then have a UTP backhaul to slave 2 (this didn't work, slave 2 wouldn't get online)

- Connect the main deco to slave 2 via UTP and then have the switch backhauled to slave 2 (resulted in decreased UTP speed over the switch down to 250mbit download/ 40mbit upload where I was getting 480 download first.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M4 wifi/ utp backhaul setup
2021-01-20 20:36:18 - last edited 2021-01-20 20:42:51

@Yantoine 

Can you clarify: is it possible to connect 2nd floor Satellite Deco to the switch by Ethernet cable, and if it is possible what is the reason you did not do that?  Sorry, but it is not clear from your post.

To have the following network layout, made from your original diagram:

Options
2021-01-20 20:56:03
Alexandre, to clarify. I have tried that, but it wont take the ethernet backhaul connection. It doesnt detect it. I have tried to do the following: ISP modem -> UTP -> main deco -> utp -> slave 2 -> switch This option gives a lower UTP speed to the connected devices through the switch which is not desirable ISP modem -> UTP -> main deco -> utp -> switch -> slave 2 This option doesnt give ethernet backhaul to slave 2
Options
2021-01-20 21:01:34 - last edited 2021-01-20 21:10:48

@Yantoine 

You run Deco in Access Point mode, you really don't need to daisy chain Main and Satellite Decos. Unless you run short on available ports at switch or modem.

To help explain where I am getting with that, here is my house network diagram, that I made by copying yours and updating to what I have. As you can see what I have is very close to your home network, and I am getting good speeds, maxing to the speed of my ISP 300/20 Internet connection.

Note that I do not daisy chain wired Main and Satellite Decos, they are connected to different Ethernet ports of ISP Modem, which has 4 gigabit ports.

Why can't you try connecting UTP cable that goes to second floor directly to Modem, your Ground Floor Main Deco directly to Modem to a different port, and Second Floor Slave Deco to the switch on second floor?

Options
2021-01-20 21:59:27 - last edited 2021-01-20 22:05:50

@Yantoine 

I will have to leave for the rest of today soon, so here are my thoughts, before you replied to my previous post.

Your home network and Deco configuration is very similar to mine, yet mine works. I suspect you may have issues with Ethernet wiring or problematic switch (is it DLink brand, by any chance, or managed?) - that needs to be troubleshooted.

This post will give you suggestions on troubleshooting and recommended network diagram at the end. Please read through it, because with network diagrams at each step it'll be long post.

In my suggestions and recommendations, I assume your ISP modem has more than one Ethernet port.

Troubleshooting steps and rebuilding network better way.

1. Is wiring from Ground Floor to Second Floor OK?

To test. Power off your Slave Decos, unplug LAN Switch from UTP cable that goes to modem, bring Main Deco to Second floor and connect it to that UTP cable. Make it as simple as that:

If your Main Deco does not give acceptable speed at this configuration, the suspect is UTP cable between Ground Floor and Second Floor. 

If Main Deco works fine and speed is fast, something must be odd with switch - continue with next step.

2. Can LAN Switch still be used?

Connect LAN Switch to second port of Main Deco and see if speed through Main Deco is still good.

If it is - just keep that configuration. If Main Deco speed or speed of devices connected to switch drops dramatically, you may need to look for a different switch. Good news: 5-port gigabit switches are not that expensive nowadays.

Continue with next steps to make Slave Decos optimally connected.

3. Bring back Slave Deco on First Floor.

Power on Slave Deco on First floor. It has no choice but wirelessly connect to Main Deco on Second floor. First objective achieved: you now have wireless Slave Deco connected to Main Deco next floor, not two floors away.

4. Bring Slave Deco to Ground floor.

Bring Slave Deco that used to be on Second floor to Ground floor, connect it by UTP cable to ISP Modem and turn it on. This would be your optimal network layout if LAN switch was the cause of issues.

It really should work for Deco mesh running in AP mode. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 713

Replies: 4

Related Articles