Gap in your product lineup... revisit AX50 and OneMesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-22 22:16:48 - last edited 2021-01-22 22:21:19
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So there is another thread about the AX50 being dropped from planned OneMesh support... but it's locked to replies... so I'm starting a new one.  Please be respectful everyone who posts in this, as it is for discussion, not flaming...  Now, you have a basic core set of "home network" features that is needed in the pandemic age.  The include seamless home coverage, plus powerful parental controls (as kids are in front of the screen nearly continously, and virual school makes in impossible to "take away their Chromebooks".

Over the course of the past week, I have tried out routers from TP-Link, Asus and Linksys.  The router that wins hands down in the parental controls department is the TP-Link AX-50.  While it is not perfect, the HomeCare feature set / service ticks "most" of the boxes.  And works more consistently.  And provides transparency with reports on usage without having to sift through log files and grep for MAC addresses -- this way it's easy to keep the kids honest.

So the hard to find, sought after AX-50, unlike the cheaper but abundantly available AX3000,  has HomeCare.  I drove over an hour to my nearest Microcenter to get it. Sure, I can get HomeCare on a Deco mesh system, but I don't want that kind of "minimalist" setup.  I have printers and computers and networks media streamers that use wired internet.  The best system that works for that is a 2-router setup where the router located at the other end of the house is also working as a wireless bridge.  I'm sure Deco is great for people who plug their TV into Alexa or a chrome stick and rely on those "smart" devices to just deliver something decent out of the box.  I am old school, however.  I don't want my internet experience intermediated by Amazon or Google. 

Now it seems pretty clear that the decision to drop planned mesh support from the AX50 has to do with a marketing descision to force consumers into the Deco line of products if they want both HomeCare and meshed "HomeCoverage".  That seems like a mistake.  What I will probably end up doing is keeping this AX-50, because it does what I want in the parental controls department.  However, since there is no advantage in terms of "mesh" tech to buying another AX50 (or any other mesh Asus router that would live downstream of the AX50 and not need HomeCare -- such as an AX20, or even an A7 if I trying to be economical and stick with AC) I will just go take my old router (a competitor's "flagship" home model from 5 +/- year ago with crappy parental controls) and plug it in as an access point.  Then every time I have signal conflicts, I will remember that the new router I bought didn't do what most routers in that price range to, and that will stick with me when, in another 5-ish year, I am looking to replace the AX50 and don't have little kids to net-nanny anymore, and also when I finally do decide that I need AX everywhere in the house.  On the other hand, give me a mesh feature on the AX50 and there is a good chance I would go out an "waste" a few bucks on an TP-Link mesh product, e.g., AX20, as soon as there would be network collission issues using the DLink as my access point. That's more money in the door to TP-Link, although not in a "slick" looking Deco package that earns a "coolness" premium for being white and looking like an air purifier.

So... it's of course, possible I am missing something.  It seems to be kinda lame to only put Mesh technology on routers that will allow the kids to connect wherever they need to be in the house -- at the dining room, in the bedroom, in the kitchen -- when they don't give you the capability to control and monitor and regulate the kids' net usage with the best available tech.  Maybe the plan is to sell HomeCare as an add-on service to those parents, as some manufacturers are doing with the "premium" parental controls? 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Gap in your product lineup... revisit AX50 and OneMesh
2021-01-23 02:59:03 - last edited 2021-01-23 11:06:13

@gde 

I haven't seen the thread about the AX50 OneMesh support, but if you ask TP-Link guys they'll probably tell you that the reason for abandoning AX50 implementation of OneMesh is HW feasibility.

To implement a feature that not everyone is going to use and compromise the device productivity/stability because of that, is not a good way to go.

Now, one argument you've mentioned that drew my attention was, if there's OneMesh implemented in your AX50, you probably would buy an AX20 for extending your wireless coverage. Actually you can't do that using OneMesh - see this article and in particular at the bottom - Q3/A3.

You can use only PAs and REs to extend your already built OneMesh network.

So the scenario where one uses a primary router with a secondary one in AP mode/Extender mode/WDS would always be a good way to go.

You may not be a fan of DECO systems, because of their design, but they are a natural evolution of the wireless technology - check this thread to see the differences with OneMesh and this one for the DECO ethernet backhaul features.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Gap in your product lineup... revisit AX50 and OneMesh
2021-01-23 04:26:18

@gde 

I'm in the same boat as you, I was very excited when i bought my AX50 and was looking forward to mesh support but alas it never came to having it. This is my opinion why TP-Link is having a hard time providing updates for the TP-Link AX50.

1st > the chipset (SoC) that the AX50 uses, its an INTEL chip (LANTIQ acquired by INTEL) ... this falls under the INTEL Home Connectivity Division. INTEL would be the one to provide wireless driver updates for the chipset, problem with that is INTEL sold its Home Connectivity Division in 2019 to someone else. So we may no longer be able to get any updates the wireless part of it (example MESH support).

news INTEL sold its Home Connectivity Division below

"https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2019/11/26/intel-may-sell-home-connectivity-unit-that-brings.html"

The INTEL chipset was really good though, even though it ran hot but it was good.

info on the intel wireless chip below

"https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/TP-LINK_Archer_AX50"

2nd > TP-Link got their AX50 design from a company called "ProWare" in CHiNA ... i doubt they can also give any update to the AX50.

3rrd > Sales of the AX50 unit, i think it did poorly against other Network Device manufacturers. Could have been caused by the poor support given by INTEL.

So, what to do ? we can't get any updates because INTEL already sold its Home Connectivity Division . What i did was just add Extenders/AP's ... i don't know if these devices are available in your region yet but these are the devices i bought to extend the range of my wireless network .... TP-Link Archer C24 and TP-Link Archer C54.

Both devices can be setup as a router, AP or Extender.

Cheers.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 764

Replies: 2

Related Articles