AX6000: Link Aggregation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-24 22:19:11
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20200714 rel.18254(5553)

Hello,

I did a bit of searching but was unable to find any further information so I thought I would post here.

I've got an Arris SB8200 modem that support link aggregation, as does my Archer AX6000 router. Does the AX6000 support link aggregation between modem and router, or is it only supported between router and something like a NAS?

I was hoping it would support between modem and router, as I should be getting somewhere close to 1.2G on my internet speed, but test come back around 600-700M. I would hoping adding link aggregation between my modem and router would help the speed and some stability issues (yeah, i was hoping maybe the modem port was having some issues and setting up redundancy between two ports would help).

I am guessing due to how the instructions are written and the fact that it is listed under LAN that this is only for network storage devices and not the modem connection itself? I did test it out today and turned it on in the router and the modem and then connected the two (port 1 on modem to port 2 on router and port 2 on modem to port 3 on router) and nothing happened, so I am guessing im correct on it only supporting link aggregation to storage and other devices. 

Options
12 Reply
Re:AX6000: Link Aggregation
2021-01-26 03:45:45

@panoptic 

In the device user guide there's no mentioning of any limitation regarding NAS or storage devices only:

Which mode are you using AX6000 in - router or AP ?

How the Arris SB8200 configuration interface for Link Aggregation looks like, any screenshot ?

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-01-26 13:58:01

@Ivaylo 

Thanks for the response. I'm a bit slow (actually I am disabled) and the instructions just weren't clear to me in the manual. I wish it had been more direct on what it could or couldn't be used with. 

I'm using my AX6000 as the main router. Our place is too small for any additional APs but i had though if this doesn't support link aggregation between unit and modem i may get something else as a main router and then switch this to an AP for the back of the apartment where noise interference may be greater. 

any way, as for the modem, you have one option: on or off.  

Options
2021-01-26 20:53:36 - last edited 2021-01-26 20:55:41

@panoptic 

Not much settings here....When you enable LAG and click on Apply/Save button (on the modem) is there any additional options aappear ?

Can you make a screenshot from your AX6000 on these settings:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-01-27 01:29:22

@Ivaylo no, there are no other options, it just tells me it will need to reboot the modem to apply change and gives me the option to cancel or reboot. once rebooted, there are no additional options. 

I will get a screen shot from the AX6000 when I am able to get back in and turn link aggregation back on. My spouse is using the internet currently. But i can verify that it shows the exact same thing as you see above in your screen shot, stating the WAN port is unplugged, and an IP of 0.0.0.0. The only difference is my connection type read Dynamic IP.

Options
2021-01-27 01:50:57
OK, to which port of the AX6000 the ethernet cable from the modem goes ? Describe your normal topology.
Options
2021-01-27 18:39:49

@Ivaylo 

Non link aggregation / normal day to day: Cable from wall into modem. Modem port 1 connected to router WAN port via cat 8 cable.

Trying link aggregation 1: Cable from wall into modem. Modem port 1 connected to router LAN port 2 via cat 8 cable. Modem port 2 connected to LAN port 3  via cat 8 cable. 

Trying link aggregation 2: Cable from wall into modem. Modem port 1 connected to router WAN port via cat 8 cable. Modem port 2 connected to router LAN port 2 via cat 8 cable. 

Neither worked. This is why I was wondering if the AX6000's firmware wasn't set up for link aggregation between modem and router. 

Options
2021-01-27 18:55:25 - last edited 2021-01-27 19:27:15

Can you post the screenshot from AX600 above in normal /day to day/ use - non link aggregation ? Or at least I have to know wheather you are receiving a public IP address on your WAN/Internet interface or a private one, so I can determine if LAG scenario is possible.

Your second attempt for LAG is useless, because on AX6000 you can have LAG only between LAN2 & LAN3 ports.

Options
2021-01-28 15:39:37

@Ivaylo Agree on the second attempt. It was just a try. I've been surprised before in my years of dealing with computers.  

public IP. See attached. 

Options
2021-01-28 16:09:16 - last edited 2021-01-28 16:15:11

@panoptic

Because I am not familiar with the SB83200 configuration interface, do you know if your modem can be configured in router mode ?

Only this way you can benefit from its LAG feature, because LAG is possible on LAN2 & LAN3 only (for AX6000).

If it can, then using this scenario 'manual AP mode' and connecting the cables like in your first attempt (LAN1&2 on SB8200 to LAN2&LAN3 on AX6000) you may be able to achieve that. In this scenario the main router would be SB8200 (with DHCP server enabled) and the AP would be AX6000 (you're not using its WAN/Internet port).

If SB8200 can only work in bridge/modem mode, then you need a dual WAN port device so you can benefit from the SB8200 LAG feature.

Options
2021-01-29 14:22:36

@Ivaylo It can not. It is just a straight up modem. no routing capabilities and setup on it is extreamly limited. configuration has three options and they are essentially controlled by the ISP. It only gives the user (literally) two controllable options. login password and turning LAG on or off. apprciate all the help, but just seems like the AX6000 just can't handle it on the modem to router side, which is a bummer. hopefully they implement someting into a future firmware upgrade, or i may just look at replacing my AX6000 with something else and just keep it as an AP or something. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3497

Replies: 12

Related Articles