How can I connect and configure a DLINK Dir-615 as AP to a TPLINK A7 in AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-31 18:04:17 - last edited 2021-02-01 03:45:50
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.10

Hello,

I have an existing WiFi setup as shown in the attachment (PNG file)

It works fine.  Before I state my question, I thought I'd reiterare the following:

(1)  the main router has WiFi disabled -- because it keeps dropping and I couldn't fix it with all the help I've got.

(2)  so I bought a new TPLINK A7 and made it Router-3 and -- configured it to AP Mode (a TPLINK built-in feature).

(3)  Router-1 and Router-2 have their own DHCP server enabled.

Statement of the problem:

I have an old DLINK Dir-615 which functions perfectly well.  In fact it was used temporarily (also as AP) in place of Router-3 until I got the new A7.

I wish to configure the the DLINK as another AP and connect it physically (using wired, i.e., Ethernet cable) to Router-3.

Q1 - can this be done?  If so how?  I tried the following and they all failed:

T1 - connect from LAN  port of DLINK   to   LAN port of Router-3  >> this led to "no internet access" on both boxes (the Internet LED on Router-3 turned orange)

T2 - connect from WAN port of DLINK   to   LAN port of Router-3  >> same results/errors.

I note that I had reconfigured the DLINK as follows:   Turn OFF DHCP.   

The DLINK does not have a "AP Mode operation" like the TPLINK A7 (Router-3).

Related DLINK wireless settings:

Mixed 802.11 bgn

Auto channel scan = YES

Channel width = 20 Mhz

Security mode = WPA Personal

WPA mode = Auto WPA or WPA2

Visible SSID

Assign a SSID different from the one used in Router-3 (I understand I could have used the same SSID but that, I am told requires more changes)

Any tips, suggestions and/or guidance will be highly appreciated.  Thanking you in advance.

Sincerely,

File:
My Home WiFi LAN.PNGDownload
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How can I connect and configure a DLINK Dir-615 as AP to a TPLINK A7 in AP mode-Solution
2021-01-31 21:35:43 - last edited 2021-02-01 03:45:50
Use T1 cabling, and put the LAN IP address of DLink router in the same subnet as the LAN IP address of Router 3.
If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:How can I connect and configure a DLINK Dir-615 as AP to a TPLINK A7 in AP mode-Solution
2021-01-31 21:35:43 - last edited 2021-02-01 03:45:50
Use T1 cabling, and put the LAN IP address of DLink router in the same subnet as the LAN IP address of Router 3.
If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:How can I connect and configure a DLINK Dir-615 as AP to a TPLINK A7 in AP mode
2021-02-01 03:21:42
Thank you! But what is T1 cabling? Kindly please advise. Thanks again. Sincerely,
Options
Re:How can I connect and configure a DLINK Dir-615 as AP to a TPLINK A7 in AP mode
2021-02-01 03:26:12
Sorry, but I missed my own use of references. In re-reading I take it you meant what I had listed in the prior post: Connect froma LAN port of the DLINK into a LAN Port of Router-3. Understood. And on top of that, make sure the DLINK is in the same subnet as Router-3. Got it. Thank you! Much appreciated.
Options
2021-02-10 13:45:51
Hello, Belated thanks ... it worked fine. Best, R.Tan
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2033

Replies: 4

Related Articles