Deco M4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M4
Deco M4
2021-02-01 11:06:36

I am going to try a TP Link Deco m4. It will be connected in the following way. Master Deco 1 in meter cupboard on LAN port Connecbox. On the master a switch to which connected wired deco 2 to 1st floor and deco3 to conservatory. Question!: Should the wifi be switched off on the connectbox .. I have now connected all equipment to the wifi of the Connectbox using 2 different names and 2 same passwords, a name for the 2.4. ghz and 1 name for the 5ghz. I would like to have these names and passwords taken over by the Deco m4. I have read on the internet that this should be possible. I don't feel like disassembling the doorbell and security camera to set a possible new name and password for the WiFi connections. Furthermore, the question how are these networks displayed in the available WiFi networks on, for example, a telephone and laptop? I also leave 1 desktop wired on the connectbox. I have a 500/40 MB internet speed. My desktop now achieves that and my mobile phone is not far from that at speed. At the moment wifi is also connected to the small white wifi poster from Ziggo. That works, but I will not use it anymore. Will the Decos also be able to take full advantage of the internet speeds that are now achieved with WiFi ...?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M4
2021-02-01 14:40:55 - last edited 2021-02-01 15:07:07

@MvD-271151 

>Should the wifi be switched off on the connectbox ..

Yes, it should. 

>I have now connected all equipment to the wifi of the Connectbox using 2 different names and 2 same passwords, a name for the 2.4. ghz and 1 name for the 5ghz. I would like to have these names and passwords taken over by the Deco m4.

You can replicate this with Deco M4. Deco mesh runs two networks: Main and Guest, each with its own SSID. Configure Main network with SSID/password of your 5GHz network and disable 2.4GHz in it, configure Guest network with SSID/password of your 2.4GHz network and disable 5GHz in it.

Here is screenshot of WiFi configuration settings in Deco app, it is from my Deco M9/M5 mesh, but M4 should be similar to that:

>how are these networks displayed in the available WiFi networks on, for example, a telephone and laptop?

They are displayed as any other WiFi network, with its SSID. A single WiFi network SSID, regardless of how many Deco nodes are behind it.

If you want to see more, install WiFi Analyzer app on your smartphone, in it you can see all Deco nodes with their MAC addresses under the Deco WiFi SSID.

>Will the Decos also be able to take full advantage of the internet speeds that are now achieved with WiFi ...?

If all your decos are wired, they should. With 5GHz, you should be able to see 400-500Mbps on your smartphone from wired M4, if smartphone is getting similar speeds from WiFi network now.

Deco M4 unit has two gigabit Ethernet ports. If you want, you can wire device (laptop, desktop, etc.) to free port and it'll run like it is connected to gigabit switch.

Note that in addition to M4, TP-Link is also offering similarly looking E4 and those have 100Mbit Ethernet ports. Deco E4 is not the right hardware for your 500/40 internet connection. When ordering, pay close attention to Deco hardware description, to ensure you are getting M4.

Options
Re:Deco M4
2021-02-06 11:02:26

@MvD-271151 

I am trying out this set. In AP mode main deco connected to connectbox.
Switch connected to this one and hence the other 2 connected. Wifi out on the connectbox.
Speed was quite disappointing for a 500 mb abo. I have now put the Deco & # 39; s in router mode as
only connect these to the connectbox and the switch to the main deco. Speed shot
up. For the time being this is going well. Maybe I can still have the connectbox put in bridge
but I don't know if this is even better. All devices on the switch now. 2 network names
introduced into the Deco. 1 for the 5ghz and the 2.4ghz on this then put 1 name on it
guest network with 2.4ghz on and 5ghz off. These names and passwords were the same
as in the Connectbox .. Strange that everything works perfectly

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 555

Replies: 2

Related Articles