How to create a Virtual USB printer port for USB printer controller in remote PC

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to create a Virtual USB printer port for USB printer controller in remote PC

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-02-21 20:47:14
Region : Hongkong

Model : TL-WDR3600

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

When using the USB printer port share function, I found that some PCs, which had never physically connect to a USB printer before, will not have the virtual USB printer port in the port selection. In this way, TP-Link's USB printer controller will not be able to setup the connection. The PC will not be able to use the shared printer from my WDR3600.

Would you mind to let me know how can I create a virtual USB printer port in the remote PCs (without need to physically connect a printer to them) or other method to use the shared printer? Thank you very much.
Options
5 Reply
Re:How to create a Virtual USB printer port for USB printer controller in remote PC
2013-02-21 21:21:14
Your computer must have a driver from the printer, so that you can use the USB share printing. normally you need to connect the computer directly to printer to install that driver.
Options
Re:How to create a Virtual USB printer port for USB printer controller in remote PC
2013-02-21 22:05:42
Thanks Will89. Actually most of the printers support us to install their driver without direct connection. Therefore, the printer drevier is not a problem. However, the USB001 port seems only install when a pinter is really connected to the port. I would like to know if there will be any work around or I really need to carry a printer to every remote PCs to connect once before I can use this printer share function of the router.
Options
2013-02-22 11:01:57
Use the driver from the manufacturer's website and install; they might also have a limited set, drivers only, without all apps.
Or...use the Add new printer function of Windows and select the right printer.
First method you will get the better driver.

Look here; a lot about USB with WDR3600 :
http://www.tp-link.com/app/usb/
And here; installation USB printer server :
http://www.tp-link.com/app/usb/How%20to%20Use%20Print%20Server%20Feature.pdf

Success, Hugo
Options
2013-02-24 00:48:19
Thanks hvgsel,

Acutally the manual does not told us anything about the Virtual USB printer port. Also, the printer install program also would not create the port. I had already given up using this function. I found that it was not very stable -- my printer would go into PAUSE mode very often. I now switch to use the printer share function from a disk server. It works fine and easier to install.
Options
2013-02-25 15:37:54
I just love your forum.Thanks for posting it. it have something that someone comeback again….there is a lot of useful information a person can get from here…I must say,well done.A good forum with great discussion and a good users,which contribute in the forum
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1428

Replies: 5