Deco S4 - how to force device connection to specific Deco?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-09 19:57:46 - last edited 2021-02-09 20:08:54
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.3

Hi,

My Xiaomi Bedside Lamp 2 keeps connecting to the Deco that is in another room (office) behind the thick wall instead connecting to a Deco in the same room that is on the other side of the bed (bedroom).

That's ridiculous and makes no sense. I don't want my lamp connecting to the Deco responsible for my office-room devices. I have also smart Humidifier in the same bedroom and it connects to the correct Deco.

How do I force connecting to a Deco in my bedroom? Or how can I ban the smart lamp from connecting to the office Deco?

I want to have control over my network and devices.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco S4 - how to force device connection to specific Deco?
2021-02-09 22:01:41 - last edited 2021-02-09 22:02:41

@Schwartz 

Looks like your Xiaomi Bedside Lamp 2 has a problem: when it sees multiple WiFi nodes broadcasting the same SSID, it does not know how to pick the better one. It is for Xiaomi to fix that, but you could try few things with Deco as workarounds.

1. If both Office and Bedroom Deco are Satellite Decos connected wirelessly to Main Deco, swap Office and Bedroom Deco places. 
    It is possible that this hardware swap would change the order in which Lamp sees WiFi nodes and it'll start picking Bedroom Deco.

2. Move Office Deco as far away from the wall as you can, and as far from Lamp as you can.
    The point is to reduce level of WiFi signal from Office Deco, with expectation that Lamp won't see Office Deco or start ignoring it because of very weak WiFi signal from it. According to Lamp specs, it only supports 2.4GHz, which can travel longer distances. Moving Office Deco away might not achieve the objective, but worth trying. If Lamp was capable of using WiFi 5GHz, that would have been much easier to achieve.

3. Keep Office Deco where it is, but create additional WiFi interference between Office Deco and Lamp.
    It should be done between Office Deco and the wall, in the direction from Office Deco to the Lamp. See picture, a black rectangular represents WiFi interference creating material. That could be few layers of household aluminium foil, or metal tray if you have one. Put them there, force Lamp to reconnect to WiFi and see which Deco it'll choose. Experiment with few materials that WiFi doesn't like. Once again, too bad that Lamp can't run on 5GHz.

Options
Re:Deco S4 - how to force device connection to specific Deco?
2021-02-10 18:57:08
Thanks a lot for ideas! I will work around with them and probably come with results! :) Is there any chance that there will be a feature in Deco system to allow more control like banning devices for particular deco devices?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1209

Replies: 2

Related Articles