c80 as access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

c80 as access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
c80 as access point
c80 as access point
2021-02-20 11:47:00 - last edited 2021-02-20 11:48:21
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

in my configuration I am receiving the internet connection via a Fritz 7530.

I have connected the C80 WAN port  to one of the LAN ports in the 7530.

Settings in C80

Internet connection type  Dynamic IP
Advanced-> operation mode Router mode

I can connect to the Wifi of the C80 and the router already shares the internet connection in this mode.

My question: what is the difference with using Access Point Mode if both configurations work ?

cheers matt

Options
5 Reply
Re:c80 as access point
2021-02-20 12:29:26 - last edited 2021-02-20 12:33:02

@Ksmbo 

Is the C80 WAN port IP address private (like 192.168.x.x) ?

In general using C80 as an AP (in this scenario) you can avoid double NAT in your network.

The benefit is easier troubleshooting when there are problems, less complicated topology, faster packets transmission.

It's used when you want to expand your wireless network coverage.

The other case scenario can be when the ISP modem/router has bad wireless coverage - you can disable its wi-fi and use only C80 for wireless access.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-02-20 13:07:35

@Ivaylo thanks for the response. My C80 has in fact the address http://192.168.0.1. 

My ISP modem Router is in one room and provides good WiFi access there. 

I wanted to use the C80 as a simple WiFi extender for the rooms in the back of the house.

At the moment the performance at 2.4 is excellent. 

5Ghz even better when testing from 3 devices at the same time with WiFi Sweetspots mobile app.

Will do some testing as access point to see if I notice any performance difference.

cheers Matt

Options
2021-02-20 13:15:06 - last edited 2021-02-20 13:16:09

That's a typical usecase for AP mode. Do the testing as you planned and decide by yourself.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-02-20 13:44:05

@Ivaylo I knew that the typical use case for AP was extending the WiFi coverage. I just wasn't expecting that the normal router mode would also work. I just inserted the ethernet cable and boom , my internet was working... so my first thought was : why AP mode if router mode works as well.

Did some testing and definitively AP mode in 5Ghz is about 10% faster in each value I see in 3 parallel WiFi SweetSpot mobile apps running at the same time.

Will keep AP mode and monitor stability of the connection ...

Again, thanks a lot for the help yes

Options
2021-02-28 10:06:26

@Ksmbo 

There is one major difference between router mode and access mode. In your case, in access mode a device connected to your c80 can see other devices connected to the main router because every connected devices are in the same DHCP pool. In router mode on c80 it would isolate its sub-network from the other part of the network connected to the main router.

I'm surprised about your result that access mode would be 10% faster. This router is not an entry level budget product. Its performance should be more firm in router mode.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1323

Replies: 5

Related Articles