Archer A7 v5 + XX = OneMesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-02 13:04:07 - last edited 2021-03-02 15:14:29
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Hi.

My main router is an Archer A7 v5. I want to take advantage of Mesh networks but since there are a couple of options, I'd like to hear your opinion. 

Option 1: keep my current router and add something else (repeater, power line adapter?)

Option 2: switch to Deco line of mesh routers (M9 Plus, AX20, etc.)

Can you help?

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer A7 v5 + XX = OneMesh-Solution
2021-03-02 13:13:35 - last edited 2021-03-02 15:14:29

@vazquezjm 

Option 1 would be cheaper, because you can buy some RE or PA to establish OneMesh with A7 according to your infrastructure.

Option 2 is entirely different system - it's more expensive. The Deco is for a really big household. In terms of mesh network, with Deco you'll have a better wireless experience.

Given the fact that you already have an Archer A7 that's a possible scenario if you want to use Deco. Here's a difference between the router and AP mode with Deco.

Here's the difference between Deco and OneMesh.

BTW AX20 is an AX (Wi-Fi 6) router - it's not part of Deco. You probably refer to Deco X20.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer A7 v5 + XX = OneMesh-Solution
2021-03-02 13:13:35 - last edited 2021-03-02 15:14:29

@vazquezjm 

Option 1 would be cheaper, because you can buy some RE or PA to establish OneMesh with A7 according to your infrastructure.

Option 2 is entirely different system - it's more expensive. The Deco is for a really big household. In terms of mesh network, with Deco you'll have a better wireless experience.

Given the fact that you already have an Archer A7 that's a possible scenario if you want to use Deco. Here's a difference between the router and AP mode with Deco.

Here's the difference between Deco and OneMesh.

BTW AX20 is an AX (Wi-Fi 6) router - it's not part of Deco. You probably refer to Deco X20.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Archer A7 v5 + XX = OneMesh
2021-03-02 13:57:54

Forgot to mention that I'm able to connect 1st and 2nd floor through an Ethernet cable  (Cat 5e).

Not sure how the RE works, but I assume they amplify the signal? If so, wouldn't it be better to connect two devices (A7 on the 1st floor) to have a more reliable connection between them? 

Some time ago I thought about adding a 2nd router and have them work as a client/slave, router/AP, or however it is called, but it might be overkill.... 

Options
2021-03-02 14:54:04 - last edited 2021-03-02 14:55:42

@vazquezjm 

Sounds perfectly fine to me. That way you'll get a reliable connection to the second floor just adding an additional A7 as an AP.

RE works pretty much the way you mentioned. I would prefer same scenario - it's cheaper and stable.

Remember though, using this you won't have a mesh network.

Options
2021-03-02 15:14:18

Ivaylo wrote

Remember though, using this you won't have a mesh network.

You're right, then I think I'll add a RE450 / RE650 to have full advantage of OneMesh 

Options
2021-03-02 15:22:07

@vazquezjm 

Sounds reasonable. Here you can find a comparison between those two - https://techprojournal.com/tp-link-re650-vs-tp-link-re450/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 726

Replies: 5