Help me configure my new network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-02 13:12:00

I have pre-ordered and will receive my new Starlink dish in mid 2021. In preparation for this event, i want to reconfigure my home network and move to a mesh system. And i am looking for your help. Below you will find my current topology. I have a 10mbs link coming in over copper and will need to replace this Bell router when i stop their service. I can use the new Starlink router and connect to a new router or simply replace the Starlink one altogether. 

I have a number of IP cameras today and they must have static IP addresses in order for my Security Camera s/w to function properly. Everything else can b DHCP. 

Inside the house I have another 15 wired and wireless devices.

In order to get my wifi signal tot he garage cameras, i created an AP with an old router and it works pretty good.

Now, moving forward, what do you suggest? What should I use for my new in house router next to where the Starlink feed comes in? I also have 2 pre-existing Cat 5 cables running through the house to use. Where would I place the mesh devices?

How could I possibly service my cabin about  270 ft away?

Looking forward to your suggestions and ecommendations, and thank you!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Help me configure my new network
2021-03-03 06:13:39

I am not an expert 

but If I had your project and wanted a lot of speed for not a lot of $

I would be incline to:
* get a spool of direct bury cat6 cable Example: 500 ft of cat6 is $110  amazon,   rent a machine to dig a trench (home depot) and direct bury cat6 line between buildings.
* get a crimping toolkit to make your own cat6 network ends  $20 amazon. 
* get a 5 port switch for home so you have ports to click cables into: TL-SG105 $15 amazon
* doubt you will use the starlink router.

Because the above uses Cat6 for all backhaul [both within house and between buildings]
I think the cheaper dual band M5  will be as performant as the tri band M9. 
A 3pk of M5 is $150 amazon. you will need 3 units min ...
put an M5 each outbuilding and 1 or 2 in house as needed (use the ethernet of house to connect its M5's)

The primary advantage of the above is all 3 buildings are guaranteed
to enjoy the same internet speed as every other building and all should enjoy perfect wifi.

If ditching is not an option.  there is still a chance of success.
forget M5 use M9 everywhere.
A 3pk refurb M9  is $213 amazon sku:B07ZPCVNNV  
I think you will need 4 units min possibly 5
one in house window facing garage(using window to try and minimize wall interference)
one in house window facing cabin  (using window to try and minimize wall interference)
(There is no guarantee a that a given  building will dedicate itself to one unit but we are trying to present each building an "idle" m9 for it to talk to)
Place the garage & cabin M9's in  window facing house  (using window to try and minimize wall interference)
you may find you need an additional M9(s) in house to service the house      

all M9's in house should be connected via ethernet 

this 2nd option won't be as performant as the first option but has a chance of working for you.

if you want to try and "future proof" yourself bit do option 1 but use m9 so you have options for future.
Good luck.

Options
Re:Help me configure my new network
2021-03-03 11:46:27

@OracleDBA 

thank you for the ideas!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 909

Replies: 2

Related Articles