AX6000 fw 1.2.1 "unable to check for upgrade" in Access Point mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-07 10:07:58
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1

I have my AX6000 in Access Point mode, with the DHCP server turned on and with the new firmware 1.2.1. I have turned off Smart Connect for WiFi.

All connected clients are working really well, and have no problems connecting to the internet, but the AX6000 web UI displays an internet connection warning and an error when trying to check for a firmware update: "Unable to check for upgrade. Make sure you are connected to the Internet and try again."

I have configured the AX6000 with a static IP configuration.

My ISP is Virgin Media and I have their Hub 3.0, and set this as the gateway for the AX6000 at 192.168.0.1. This does not have a built-in DNS server. The DHCP server is turned off in the VirginMedia Hub router/gateway.

This problem is because the AX6000 is trying to use the Default Gateway as a DNS server. I could avoid this problem if you put an optional input for "DNS server" into the static IP configuration shown above, or if the AX6000 used a public DNS server instead of assuming that there is one built into my gateway.

I can perform an upgrade by using the Tether app on my phone.

Options
1 Reply
Re:AX6000 fw 1.2.1 "unable to check for upgrade" in Access Point mode
2021-03-07 15:40:15

@RockPaper 

Modem only mode on Hub 3?

I'd restore the hub to default settings then select modem only mode.

AX6000 should get the dns addresses dynamically if the radio button is selected in settings. Mine does anyway.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 408

Replies: 1