Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M5
Deco M5
2021-03-07 13:58:56
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Just bought the Deco M5  mesh system.  Haven't set it up yet, just wanting to know about the wifi setup.  As I understand it, the system will give me another wifi network, is that correct?  If so, can I/should I disable my existing from the router?  I have read the post on access point mode, not sure if that's what I need?

Options
8 Reply
Re:Deco M5
2021-03-07 14:18:37

@tmarsh 

You should disable your existing wifi from the router. Not that you must, but it is strongly recommended. 

In regard to access point mode, see TP-Link FAQ article What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

If you have questions after reading it, feel free to ask.

Deco mesh is configured through Deco app installed on smartphone. Here is screenshot to show WiFi configuration settings for Deco mesh:

Options
2021-03-07 15:12:34

Thanks. @Alexandre. Disabled wifi and set up the new network with same name and pword and all seems fine.  Just two questions, my printer has a dedicated wifi address, haven't tried it from a laptop yet, will it work?  And, can I log in via the web to the new network or just by the app?

Options
2021-03-07 15:20:28

@tmarsh 

There is Web interface to access Deco, but it is not really a management interface, more like troubleshooting. You can't configure Decos through Web pages. To login, use Deco IP address. For example, if your Main Deco is 192.168.68.1 then just open http://192.168.68.1 in web browser. Same idea for Satellite Decos.

As for the wireless printer, if you run your Deco mesh in Access Point mode, no changes will be required. If you've decided to run Deco in its default router mode, you may have to redo your printer configuration, because Deco will be giving your home network IP addresses in different IP range, most likely.

Options
2021-03-07 15:30:43
Thanks. I tried to access the printer from the laptop but can't. I want the printer to keep its dedicated address so I'm assuming this can be done through the app?
Options
2021-03-07 15:38:15

@tmarsh 

Check this TP-Link FAQ article: How to configure Address Reservation with Deco?

Options
2021-03-07 15:50:50

Thanks again @Alexandre.  I had found this under advanced but there is no option to create, it lists several of my devices but not the printer.  The printer is connected to my pc via Ethernet cable and I was able to reserve the address in the router but can't see a way to do it in the app.  Not sure why it does not pick it up.

Options
2021-03-07 16:09:01 - last edited 2021-03-07 16:09:16

@tmarsh 

You haven't done any changes in your router other then disabling WiFi, right?

If this is correct, I would suggest changing Deco mesh Operating Mode to Access Point, to see if your laptop can access printer again (it should). You might need to reboot laptop and power off/on printer after Deco is reconfigured to run in Access Point mode.

Options
2021-03-07 16:19:53 - last edited 2021-03-07 16:36:30

Thanks again for all you help @Aalexandre. Turns out the laptop just needed to be rebooted!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1066

Replies: 8

Related Articles