'The key may be incorrect' error message when key is correct?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-02-26 01:10:39
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WN751ND

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP : Virgin Media

Hi,

I've just installed a TL-WN751ND Wireless adapter in my PC. Immediately after installing it connected to my home Wi-Fi without a problem. However, when I then rebooted the PC it would no longer connect - after I enter the Security Key (the same Security Key with which I connected first time round) it tries to connect and then gives the error message 'The key may be incorrect' and asks me to re-enter it - and then the same thing happens.

To rule out the obvious, the problem isn't the security key - apart from having successfully used the same key when I first installed the adapter, I've also got umpteen other devices in the house connected to Wi-Fi with the same key without a problem.

There isn't an issue with wireless signal, for the purposes of getting this working I've moved the PC to right next to the wireless router and it's showing a strong signal on the TP-Link utility.

After trying many times to reboot the PC, connect with the Windows wireless utility instead of the TP-link software (I'm using Windows XP), uninstall and reinstall the software etc, the ONLY other time I've managed to get it working was by uninstalling the utility software and driver, removing the adapter, rebooting without either hardware or software, power down and reinstall both the adapter and software (driver and utility) - and as with the initial installation, upon completion of the software installation it connects perfectly using the same security key that wouldn't work earlier. I then rebooted the PC and was back to the 'The key may be incorrect' error message!

So in summary it only works immediately following installation of the hardware and software. After that as soon as you reboot the PC it thinks there's a problem with the srecurity key. Any ideas greatly appreciated, this is driving me up the wall!

Thanks,

Richard
Options
5 Reply
Re:'The key may be incorrect' error message when key is correct?
2013-02-26 16:34:12
Have you tried this: uninstall the driver and utility. While reinstalling the adapter, only install the driver without the utility, and use Windows wireless utility to connect the wireless network and see if it works or not.
Options
2013-02-27 04:12:27
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion but no luck - through the windows utility it just gets stuck at 'Acquiring Network Address' and never manages to connect.

Cheers,

Richard
Options
2013-02-27 17:54:49
Options
Wireless Key
2013-10-23 19:44:03
Hi did you ever resolve this issue? as i am having the same problem. Many Thanks

Mullbram
Options
2019-03-05 16:35:40

I realize that the thread is very old but I am replying for the new users who have the same problem . So the problem is that whenever we remove the adapter from the pc , it's driver are uninstalled automatically and when you plug it back in , windows uses its own wireless driver which aren't able to authenticate AEP type security 

Here's the solution :- 

Put the CD that came with the adapter,  in your PC and you will get a popup on your screen with two options :- 

1. Run AutoRun.exe

2. Open folder to view files.

Click on the first one and install the drivers & utility . 

This should solve the problem

And now don't ever remove the adapter from the pc :- ) 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2168

Replies: 5

Related Articles